Thread: AidyBaby's Photoshop Actions for Generating Random Maps

Map AidyBaby's Photoshop Actions for Generating Random Maps

Nice. I haven't seen your random coastline method (I should search...) but I have one that simply works in Photoshop with clouds and levels. In fact I have created a PS action that generates a totally random map with my hexmapper patterns. All these maps are produced with a single click and nothing else!!

I've also attached the patterns and colour swatches for those who want them and have PS. Welcome to retro-mapping!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Random v1.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	1191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Random v2.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	1192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Random v3.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	4.37 MB 
ID:	1193  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AidyBaby; 10-24-2007 at 07:28 AM.

And why didn't you post the action?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Sweet, Aidy, thanks!

And if not the action, perhaps you could give some clues (maybe in another thread?) that shows PS novices how to make it? That would very useful to many people, I'll bet--if you have the time, of course!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I didn't post the action 'cos I was at work! (and I shouldn't be surfing... shhhh).

I'll dig it out and post it later on as I'm off to play football now (soccer to most of you...)
    Last edited by AidyBaby; 10-24-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Cool! Look forward to checking it out. Oh, and don't forget to wear a helmet.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

D'oh, I did have the action on my work PC! Oh well, here it is... You'll need to have my Hexmapper patterns 'in Photoshop' i.e. copied into the patterns folder and have restarted photoshop.

The action occasionally comes up with an error dialogue box, simply hit OK and it should still go to the end. (It's to do with no selected pixels when creating the water depths, from memory. Shouldn't affect the map).

Hope it works for you - it comes up with some unusual maps that has sparked many an idea in me for areas and locations.

All I need now is an action to draw roads, place towns and cities, add name labels, predict the stock markets and bring world peace!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

AB, I just used your action to produce half a dozen maps in about 10 minutes. I got some very interesting results. This particular one was the most intriguing. Oh, I'm using CS2 and routinely got 3 errors involving the pixel selection and I also got one for "Set" not being available. I just Ok'd through them and it worked fine.

Thank you again for sharing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	952.4 KB 
ID:	1215  

Glad it worked. If you tweak some of the settings in the action you can control approx how much land, mountains, forests, are likely, etc. by changing the levels controls.

It's quite good fun to see what variations pop out!

I know I'm very late to this party, but thank you bigtime for this resource!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps