Thread: The Tellerian City of Tethyll

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Wip The Tellerian City of Tethyll

Tethyll is one of the cities marked on my map of the Tellerian homeworld, Tel'lar. It is the first place Tellerian characters will see in this, my MMO game design project.

I've drawn maps of my hometown, and sketched out street maps for small 3D level scenes, but have never drawn a fantasy city before. Not sure where to start, I was rather grateful for tutorials like OldBoy's, as featured on the homepage, and for more of Ascension's tutorials on closer-scale terrain. The latter didn't work out too well; I suspect it's because of the way I'd started this map - hand-drawn rather than procedurally. But I'm quite grateful indeed for being able to make buildings as a result of brush-work. Though I have quite a few gaps to close where the brush spacing didn't work out, that fast effect is perfect for a city which players will only have limited access to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20100517 Tethyll (1000px).png 
Views:	285 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	24935
    Original illustration

One problem I'm fining with this quite illustrative style of mapping is in the labelling. It works for simply adding quest objectives and such for my own gaming documents, but I have to add desaturation filters to add half-decent labelling. I intend to have a poke about this forum - hope you don't mind! - for inspiration on that front. I also should learn about marking forestry; enough to add alien flora in the wilds surrounding Tethyll. Ooer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20100517 Tethyll (annotated, 1000px).png 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	24934
    Annotated map

I should point out that very few points are marked on the actual map - this is partly my not knowing how to label well, and partly down to the ongoing process of mapping this game, mission by mission.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks nice so far...many of use use glows, drop shadowing, etc. on our text to help make it more readable.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've just finished labeling my region map - and have made good use of effects to make the labels stand out. But one thing to concider is the size of the map - cause the smaller the map, the smaller the font - and screens don't do well with small fonts, they can't show the details properly.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That map is looking really nice. the streets feel a bit big compared to the shapes I assume are representing buildings, but the overall feel is good. The mountains on the top left feel a bit lumpy, but that's probably just a personal thing. I really love the way this map is going, especially the info box in the top right - an absolutely fantastic touch, and very interesting.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

I like the layout.

Just happened to notice that the population breakdown only adds up to 90% (81+9). Was that deliberate?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    I like the layout.

Just happened to notice that the population breakdown only adds up to 90% (81+9). Was that deliberate?
    Oh, yes - I had to stop and have a think about that one. The remaining 10% is formed of miscellaneous races. I suppose I should have written "10% other" after all. >.<
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Heh. At least you thought out the population breakdown. I've spent so much time ordering myself to remember that countries & cities aren't (usually) comprised of a single race that I haven't thought of race distribution by country yet, let alone a single city. Still liking where this map is headed; I'll have to look out for your work.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"