Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop, Adapted to Gimp

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Scades View Post
    you know this is really bizarre... I've read your adapted tutorial and have had an "Ahhhhh"-Effect at least once per episode. Of cousre, that could be due to me beeing new to the job and so on... but really, I have to underline Katto's words.
    Your adapted Tutorial is able to help at least the beginners like myself, so why the hell is there no post of any newby who gives you credit?! I mean this thing has been on the block for way more than half a year... am I the only new GIMP user in this long time who felt the need to read your tutorial??? xD
    Anyways and even if it is propably way too lait to get you to continue this project. I give you rep.
    Thank you so very much! I am a technical writer by trade, so writing instructions and tutorials is something I have experience with.

I plan to get back to this very soon. I got laid off in June of 2010, and started back to school in Fall of 2010. I got pretty busy with school, and then this semester I got another fulltime job and was still going to school parttime! So that's why it got put on the back burner for awhile. But I'm not taking classes this summer, so I am going to pick it up again.

I am even considering trying to do some video tutorials. I took a Photoshop class last semester, so now I have both Photoshop and GIMP and experience with both. Please look for continued posts here, and I plan to set up a new art/design blog, which I will be linking in my sig. I will have plenty of tutorial content on my blog as well.

Thanks again!

wisemoon (Megan Wiseman)
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Blog Entries

Well it's taken me longer than I imagined it would, but I am finally getting back to this project. I apologize to all of you who've been waiting for more, and will really try to get the rest out on a more reasonable schedule. I hope to have Episode 4 up within a week.

Also, I may be renaming this tutorial series and reposting it...mostly because I have ended up changing quite a few things in the adapation. So I may call it something else and just give Zombie Nirvana credit for being the source and inspiration for the tutorials. Keep an eye out, I also plan on doing some other tutorial stuff in the future.

Thanks to all of you who commented and have used the tutorial!

Wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

This is a great project, and I hope you keep it up!

Butch Curry

Blog Entries

Wow, I had no idea Butch Curry was actually a member here! Looks like he is a recent applicant. I am honored you chimed in on my thread, Butch! Any plans to add more episodes to your video tutorial series? Last I saw you had gotten up to episode 18...

Oh, and guys I promise I am working on episode 4...it will be up soon!

I was on here some time ago as palehorse and just came back today. I'll make an announcement about future plans by the end of the week, here and on my YouTube channel before anywhere else!

Please do, Rob, that would be great! Thanks!

Blog Entries

Post Episode 4 is now ready!

Episode 4 is finally ready! In this episode, we learn a trick to add some variety to our forest pattern so the tiling effect is obscured. We also learn to make a tree trunk brush pipe in Gimp, and use it to add trunks to our forested areas.

I seem to be having some trouble uploading the file, so I will upload the actual PDF later this evening. Thanks to everyone who has been monitoring this thread, and who has downloaded previous episodes. I plan to continue updating, and should be able to do so fairly quickly until mid-August--but as school starts for me at that time, they may slow down again.

Check back later tonight to get the new PDF!

Edit: Here is the file.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep4.pdf 
Views:	471 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	36979

Wisemoon (Megan)
    Last edited by wisemoon; 07-09-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding a File

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Well, I joined just for these tutorials, and I think they're fantastic. Thank you!

Mixail

I like the tutorial, too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast