Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop, Adapted to Gimp

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tutorial Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop, Adapted to Gimp

I've finished adapting the first episode of Butch Curry's Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop video tutorial series. There are a few steps he does in Photoshop I don't know how to replicate in Gimp; in those cases I've indicated what steps one takes in Photoshop. If anyone tests this out and knows, or figures out, the Gimp equivalent--please let me know, so I can update the tutorials.

Episode one doesn't get you very far, but I hope to be able to continue this fairly quickly. I'll post subsequent episode adaptations as replies to this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep1.pdf  
    Last edited by wisemoon; 05-24-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Blog Entries

Default Fantasy Cartography Adapted to Gimp, Episode 2

The PDF for the Episode 2 tutorial is now ready. Please let me know if this tutorial is helpful. If you have suggestions for this tutorial, or the series in general, please share them with me! Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep2.pdf  
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

I think your tutorials are helpful, wisemoon. I can't say it for me there I am using PS, but a lot of member here use GIMP. It seemed that you spend much time in your "translated" tutorial and at the time 26 user downloaded it. I can't understand that there was no feedback until now. Have some rep for your effords!

Blog Entries

Thanks so much, Katto! I will keep plugging away at it. I've noticed that RobA recently posted a tutorial on how to make "old, tattered paper" in Gimp...I haven't looked at it yet, but depending on his methods I might end up using his methods in the tutorial. I did my best to emulate what Butch Curry did in Photoshop, but in many cases I had to deviate quite considerably from the video simply because I couldn't figure out how to do what Curry did!

I plan to continue updating and editing these over time, so eventually they may become just "Gimp tutorials" instead of being an "adaptation" of someone else's tutorials. We'll see how it goes.

Blog Entries

I'm working on the tutorial from Episode 3. I may end up cutting it into two parts; much of Episode 3 is creating a custom pattern for trees/forest. The process is different enough in Gimp that it's taking me awhile to figure it out. I may, in fact, post that as a separate tutorial entirely...I couldn't find any other tutorials on creating seamless patterns in Gimp on this site. In fact, even an Internet search didn't turn up much. Most of the tutorials I found focus on creating texture patterns, which are more photorealistic than the pattern I'm trying to do. Curry's method creates an antique, "hand-drawn" style; he shows you how to hand-draw a forest pattern, then use it to bucket-fill or paint with.

As soon as I get the pattern thing figured out, I'll be posting the next installment. Thanks for reading!

wisemoon

Blog Entries

Episode 3 is now finished. In this episode, we create a forest pattern, fill a new layer with it, then use masking techniques to selectively paint in areas of forest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep3.pdf  

Guild Novice
    Neubrandenburg/Mecklenburg-Vorpommern/Germany

you know this is really bizarre... I've read your adapted tutorial and have had an "Ahhhhh"-Effect at least once per episode. Of cousre, that could be due to me beeing new to the job and so on... but really, I have to underline Katto's words.
    Your adapted Tutorial is able to help at least the beginners like myself, so why the hell is there no post of any newby who gives you credit?! I mean this thing has been on the block for way more than half a year... am I the only new GIMP user in this long time who felt the need to read your tutorial??? xD
    Anyways and even if it is propably way too lait to get you to continue this project. I give you rep.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

New mappers are usually new to The Guild so they almost always neglect to go back and look through the vast amount of assembled knowledge. So kudos to you for doing so.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Default Pending tutorial link...

Hey, All.

Just a quick comment. I will be creating a link to this tutorial / thread in the near term. I'm waiting right now to see if any of the Chapters 1, 2 or, 3 are going to be updated with any futher information.

Looking forward to the completed series.

Thanks fo all your hard work, wisemoon.

Regards,

Vandy
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

I like the tutorial, too. It is really helpful and deserves to be more recognized. Will there be more steps?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast