Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Oshen-Dan-Desh Redux

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default [WIP] Oshen-Dan-Desh Redux

Ülrighty then...

Having just finished my long-running space map project, I've come to realize that my Photoshop skillz have improved quite a bit in the last year or so. Whenever I look at my first finished map, Oshen-Dan-Desh, I kinda feel the map doesn't really do justice to the setting. So, I've decided to redo the map.

This is what I have so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	24985  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

great stuff! I love redone maps.

The mountains dont seem to "pop out" as much as i think they should. That is my only major complaint.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I thought that your first one was very much like "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" or "Nobunaga's Ambition" but this interesting as well...the colors are quite nice and the relief looks great in places (not too wild about the big gray parts but that's just me).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good, but where is the docking bay? *lol*
    I agree with Rythal, the mountain need to be raised ...up up and.. .well not away.. but up...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

@tilt
    Well, actually, the universe the map is set in is totally fantasy steampunk, meaning obligatory dirigibles and giant sea monsters used as ships, so you would most likely find some crazy device working as a "docking bay" but it'll have all sorts of arbitrary pipes and valves and magic seals running all over it.

And obviously, the mountains weren't working, so here's the next WIP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	4.74 MB 
ID:	25012  
    Last edited by Daelin; 05-21-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

those are NICE! how'd you do them?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those are some great looking mtns but I don't think that you even need them. The way that you've done the hills looks fab so I'd just stay with that and then this would be one sweet antique Asian-style map. Of course, if you're going somewhere in-between antique and satellite then I'd say this is perfect. You make some damn fine maps so my comments could be thrown away if you choose...you're just as good as me if not better so you do what you think best, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

@Coyotemax
    Super simple: Two layers, one filled with a rock texture, 80% opacity, chisel soft bevel and slight brownish outer glow, then painted into a layer mask. The other just has a bevel, 50% opacity, and then painted with a white brush, to put snow on the peaks.

@Ascension
    Well, I'm fairly happy with my mountains now. Whether this is suppose to be hand-drawn or satellite map, I can't tell. My styles are clashing like titans.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good ... and the docking bay where a pun based on your latest map (which is hard to forget) - but I'm pleased that you haven't given up on strange stuff
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast