Thread: Shamelessly Mimic LonewandererD

Guild Novice

Default Shamelessly Mimic LonewandererD

The Everlandias

I posted this link in my Intro thread in the new members section but I think this is probably more appropriate.

I am in love with this map. It's pretty much the epitome of what I'd like to create. I'd like to know how I'd go about creating a map in the same style for my Fantasy World. I've got Photoshop (CS4), enthusiasm, a work ethic and some time on my hands and I'd like to accomplish something this great.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that LWD used my atlas tut as the starting point but then changed things around to suit and eventually broke away. What those changes are it's hard to say.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

LoneWanderer is, of course, the best person to get advice from, but it looks like you may also want to peruse Pasis's tutorial, as it seems to have aspects of both styles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SereneParadox View Post
    I've got Photoshop (CS4), enthusiasm, a work ethic and some time on my hands and I'd like to accomplish something this great.
    Well you have got the bits that most people don't have. You can make a map like this but it does take some practice and having some inner artistry helps. That last bit is the one I lack however.

The map thread you have linked to links to the original thread where he talks about it a little but in there he does say its mainly Ascensions tut so maybe that is the place to start looking.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Well you have got the bits that most people don't have. You can make a map like this but it does take some practice and having some inner artistry helps. That last bit is the one I lack however.

The map thread you have linked to links to the original thread where he talks about it a little but in there he does say its mainly Ascensions tut so maybe that is the place to start looking.
    I have actually done Ascension's tut up to the lines-layer, twice or three times. I like the style but for some reason my mountains and hills don't stand out enough for me. I've probably made some mistake somewhere (I'd upload but I'm away from home).

I recently ran into this and this.

So blown away. I like those two because their so clear, authentic and practical. So basically, as I see it theirs two main styles of awesomeness. The Ascension style and the Authentic style and I love them both. Must learn.
    Last edited by SereneParadox; 05-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those hand-drawn maps are the hardest for folks who don't know how to draw or are too lazy (like me). If you want more realistic mountains then try taking the grayscale image (after the difference clouds) and put that into Wilbur and read the Having Fun with Wilbur tuts then take that and put it back in PS. Or you could just double up on the mountains layer (that's what I usually do).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Those hand-drawn maps are the hardest for folks who don't know how to draw or are too lazy (like me). If you want more realistic mountains then try taking the grayscale image (after the difference clouds) and put that into Wilbur and read the Having Fun with Wilbur tuts then take that and put it back in PS. Or you could just double up on the mountains layer (that's what I usually do).
    I'm about as artistic as that fly you swatted the other day. I've got a decent artistic mind but I have troubles implementing my ideas onto a medium. I liked my results when I just doubled up the mountain layers, good idea.

Also, when I get home in a few days, I'm going to try this tutorial that you wrote.

Edit: Thanks for all your hard work.