Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Apocalyptic Amerika

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Post Apocalyptic Amerika

The title says it all.

After a series of catastrophes in the 21st century civilization broke down. It has recovered to a late medieval level now. North America (or Noramerika) is dominated by the Empyre of Texarado. The states in the northwest and northeast are some sort of barbarians as they reject the Church of Redemptive Unity. The wastelands are full of mutants and old machines.
    The United Kingdom of Grankolomba is the major great power of Southamerika (or Amerasud as the natives call it).

Me thinks it would rather good fit for a future RPG setting.

I made the map with Photoshop, using a blank map of North America I trace with Inkscape. The flags are all made with Inkscape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_of_Noramerika_by_Sapiento.png 
Views:	2898 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	14942  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Very cool map, have some reputation for posting it.

I would suggest uploading the image through the forum however. Then you get a nice thumbnail and people can click on it to see the bigger version (without messing up the layout).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Very cool map, have some reputation for posting it.

I would suggest uploading the image through the forum however. Then you get a nice thumbnail and people can click on it to see the bigger version (without messing up the layout).
    Thanks a lot

Actually I tried to upload it but the file size was too large so I had to use the link.

Ah well, maybe one of the community leaders can help.

Awesome work, really. Love the colors. There's so much happening in this map!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Servus to Salzburg and compliments on the map. I like what you did with the place names, changing them slightly. Did you use any rules for that (similar to the German "Lautverschiebung)?

Grüße nach Wien! And thank you for the compliments!

I thought that languages have in general the tendency to became simpler than more complicated over long periodes. In general the written words are now more similar to the spoken word, e.g. the k replaces in most cases the c if it is spoken as 'k'. Also, in this world, many names have shortened like 'Noramerika' or 'Sanvaldor' instead of San Salvador.

Quote Originally Posted by Syt View Post
    Servus to Salzburg and compliments on the map. I like what you did with the place names, changing them slightly. Did you use any rules for that (similar to the German "Lautverschiebung)?

Well, you are right in that we seem to see an ever simplifying language - but there's also countertendencies time and again. Or as one of my linguistics professors used to say, "The Romans didn't step out of the cave with 6 grammatic cases."

There could be a trend, after dark ages of apocalpyse, be an emerging medieval culture that develops more advanced language skills, perhaps creating an elaborate manner of speaking as "modern" and to differentiate themselves from the "barbarians" who speak without rules. Though there'd probably be a high language conforming to all (new?) rules and customs and a low language of the street. Language has always also been a way to show your class or sophistications.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I was able to upload your map, which is quite nice by-the-way, as an attachment.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ack, my town got wiped off the map in this world. Good thing too since none of us would live in Texarado. Since Memphis is gone as well I guess we'd all move to Shekago and torment Cubs fans. Nice map, though. Looks nice and clean.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

surprise surprise southern ontario has turned into a wasteland

have some rep for a fun map

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast