Thread: Roof Styles

Default Roof Styles

I loved psyekl's roof tiles in his Castle map, so here is my effort to try to do them faster rather than by hand. This uses the vector idea of 'objects on a line' (or line styles as they are called in Drawplus). I think I'll be using this more. These linestyles are a really good method of putting in repeating elements where you can make each element slightly different to get some variation and then arrange them randomly on a line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof styles.jpg 
Views:	1785 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	25051  

Not too shabby at all! I'm glad to have provided some useful inspiration. It's good to return the favor to you, and the Guild as a whole, since I've gotten so many ideas over the years as well. I particularly like the two at the top with the less-defined edges. Repped.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff, bro. I've been experimenting with something similar in PS on my current town.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks guys. Using the linestyles and blends you can really crank these things out quickly. The latest version of drawplus which has just arrived has lots of new goodies in it, (dynamic alignment which illustrator has), and blend modes for shapes (multiply, screen etc) among other things which is fast making it my mapping tool of choice over PS for cities (at least for the buildings).

This technique is beautiful! Can you point me towards any basic tutorials so I could play with this on Illustrator? I'm still trying to get the hand of it.

I haven't used illustrator in years so I've forgotten the name of the tool you would use. I think it's a scatter brush I could well be wrong. It's basically a tool that places vector objects along a line. Just make, say 6 roof tiles and load them into the brush, set the brush to place the objects randomly and draw the lines - the brush will place the objects along the lines...sorry if this is not much help but I'm sure someone who uses AI will be able to explain it better.

Hey, every little bit helps. Thank you