Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Felseth

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good suggestion about the roads. It's so close to a natural look the overlays of road ruin it a bit. I carved the roads into the trees and removed the cities for now. I'll do them in 3D I think and pop the renders on top. I'm thinking about adding some farmland, but that's going to be a huge pain unless someone's got a trick or two up their sleeve? Haha anyone?

Also, I grabbed some reference for scale and adjusted that and noticed the colours were way to saturated. Added some beaches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Felseth_Natural_72dpi.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	25121

Thoughts? Comments? Even small things. Mention it all. So far the comments to the map have improved it immensely! Thanks guys and keep it coming.

Hm, the foothills look a bit blurry to me, like the scale doesn't match to the rest. Perhaps adding more brown and a bit of shape?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The roads look really good, but the towns dissapeared, and concidering your scale at least large settlements should show up.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Do you mean the brown areas near the middle mountain?

I removed the cities for now. I'm going to do the settlements in 3D and maybe add some farmland.

Just about to get on a plane to Stockholm. Won't get a chance to work on this until Monday. Have a great weekend guys!

I mean the areas left and right of the central mountain (in the middle of the map) and the area next to the mountain below. It won't fit to the whole scaling, but that's just my opinion.

Added some farmland and buildings (but you can't really see them).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Felseth_Farmland_72.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	25179

I think the farmland came out really well, man. Nice!

hmm, something to think about, if the scale is right, the mountains should still show quite a bit of forestation, with a few bits of craggy rock sticking out here and there...I'm going on my own observation of where I live btw, there are hills and mountains that look to be about the same size, and they are covered in trees, at least there should be some forest growth up the sides of the mountain, perhaps becoming more sparse as the treeline ascends...
    another thing,
    I like the beaches, however, again at this scale, they are too smooth, perhaps a little more jagged and kinda-sorta random along the edges...
    it might help to pull up either google maps or google earth and look at some satellite photos of coastlines at that scale, just to get a feel of how things look on our planet,
    but hang on...if you look at 1 Km or 1mile as about 20-39 minutes walking distance, why does it go from lush green to desert so quickly? perhaps the scale needs adjustment?
    maybe that helps, I hope it does
    otherwise I really love the textures and feel of the map. I really like how the roads cut through the terrain like that as well, it looks awesome! the colors are really vivid and clear as well, I get a good sense of visualization, I can see myself in the terrain, it's very pleasing!
    Last edited by Sadist; 05-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.

I am liking this a lot. I would like to see a little more zoomed in because it is rather difficult to see the roads and farms. This is one of the better "realistic" map styles that I have seen.
    The mountains look very good, but what Sadist said is true. There will be trees on most mountains unless they are dry, wind swept, very rough, or they are higher than the line where trees grow. However, if you put trees on them, then you loose the great details, so it is a trade off.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast