Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Felseth

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also agree with Sadist, the scale might be of on some elements, a km takes about 10 minutes in fast walk and thats a good guide in how many types of territory there should be
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I usually walk at a very leisurely pace...
    or rather, I WISH I could walk at a leisurely pace
    I'm usually late

I hope you will make a tutorial after this map... because it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Ditto with the previous post, your style is awesome. Tried to rep but need to spread more around first.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadist View Post
    hmm, something to think about, if the scale is right, the mountains should still show quite a bit of forestation, with a few bits of craggy rock sticking out here and there...I'm going on my own observation of where I live btw, there are hills and mountains that look to be about the same size, and they are covered in trees, at least there should be some forest growth up the sides of the mountain, perhaps becoming more sparse as the treeline ascends...
    another thing,
    I like the beaches, however, again at this scale, they are too smooth, perhaps a little more jagged and kinda-sorta random along the edges...
    it might help to pull up either google maps or google earth and look at some satellite photos of coastlines at that scale, just to get a feel of how things look on our planet,
    but hang on...if you look at 1 Km or 1mile as about 20-39 minutes walking distance, why does it go from lush green to desert so quickly? perhaps the scale needs adjustment?
    maybe that helps, I hope it does
    otherwise I really love the textures and feel of the map. I really like how the roads cut through the terrain like that as well, it looks awesome! the colors are really vivid and clear as well, I get a good sense of visualization, I can see myself in the terrain, it's very pleasing!
    Yeah I see what you mean about the scale. That's been bugging me too, but I couldn't see what was wrong. I'm going to cut the scale in half rather than change the terrain. I think the farms will still work at that scale. The terrain issue you pointed out is something I think I need to plan out better from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    I am liking this a lot. I would like to see a little more zoomed in because it is rather difficult to see the roads and farms. This is one of the better "realistic" map styles that I have seen.
    The mountains look very good, but what Sadist said is true. There will be trees on most mountains unless they are dry, wind swept, very rough, or they are higher than the line where trees grow. However, if you put trees on them, then you loose the great details, so it is a trade off.
    Yeah agreed, I'm going to adjust the scale, call it done and label it. The next map will be better I think

Quote Originally Posted by philipstephen View Post
    I hope you will make a tutorial after this map... because it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.
    Thanks! I'm going to stick a fork in this one and call it done (after a few more tweaks) then start on a new one today. I'll record my steps and see if there's anything I can turn into a tutorial. Mostly it's what I've learned through the tutorials on this site, but I'lll see if I'm doing something different.

Agreed. Gorgeous map definitely begging to be made into a tutorial. Great work.
    Repped

Here's what I'd like to call the final labelled map. Let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Felseth_Labeled_72dpi.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	25546

If you can think of a better style for the labels I'd love to find one. I find the naked map more pleasant to look at. I had a hard time balancing readability and integration in the labelling.

I'm eager to hear what you guys think.

Also, I've been trying to boil what I've done here into a tutorial or something. I'm about half way through it now. Hopefully I'll have something to share by next weekend.

I really really like it! Almost looks like a satellite picture, but with a more artistic touch to it. Please finish that tutorial, I'd really like to try making something as pretty. Oh, and it's really nice to see I'm not the only one who has troubles with mountains!
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I agree; please do finish that tutorial. Forests freaking kill me, and you've nailed a look here that I'd love to use.

This is one beautiful map. Everything just blends so well together. Really, I only have two nitpicks:

1) Some of the text is hard to read, especially the names of the lakes. I'm assuming this is actually part of a much larger map, since some of the names are cut off, so it may not be an issue at a greater resolution.

2) You've got settlements labeled, but... I can't see them. Might be a resolution/scale issue, or maybe I'm just going blind in my old age.

I'd rep ya again, but I can't just yet.

Ditto on the lake labels and settlements, they are some what hard to make out. Other than that this is a brilliant map, especially those forests, very realistic.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast