Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cairan WIP Critique!

Hey that's looking nice! Ya'know, I really like your fields. I actually attempted to do something similar in the last map I made, but wasn't impressed with the results and so canned it. Are you using a texture for the fields? If so, would you mind sharing it, I know I would be interested.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hey that's looking nice! Ya'know, I really like your fields. I actually attempted to do something similar in the last map I made, but wasn't impressed with the results and so canned it. Are you using a texture for the fields? If so, would you mind sharing it, I know I would be interested.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Its bambua's Farm tile, the second one he has posted (farther down in the thread) and all I did was put it as a "Hard Light" layer blend... with 4b5823 that color of green under it, but that was the color of my ground/grass anyways. Hopefully that helps you out a bit. Also just filled the new layer with just the fields and used a layer mask to place them down.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...0558-Farm-tile

Anyways this is the latest so far, I have all the names of the Cities, and Kingdoms, (not all the villages though) just need to actually do it, but finished the roads, and debating on where I want to stick the "Noticeably Big" Rivers only... but any comments, concerns, ideas, problems let me know!

p.s. I noticed some problems with the borders map, they just didn't match up to the land as good as I wanted, and it was too strong, already fixed and adjusted both those issues
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cairan10A.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	26256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cairan10B.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	26257  
    Last edited by Yandor; 06-25-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Thanks allot for the link Yandor, i am totally using these in my next regional map.

No problem Arsheesh.

Anyways plugging away at this, didn't realize how long it takes to do names goodness, or maybe I have a short attention span... meh who knows but its coming along, only have a few more kingdoms to mess with but here an update.

haha fields are turned off, I'll fix that next update

Name:	Cairan11.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	26276  
    Last edited by Yandor; 06-25-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

lot of work that
    The political borders (and name colors) are very dominating and take away attention from the map. I'd tone those down (a lot) so the map is the key element again.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

A love the look of the forests. Did you create it in PS or was it a texture? If they later, I would love to get a copy : )

Yes, the forests look great. And, as alwas, the bright colors IMO the land background is, difficult to say, too simple?, colorless?, blurry? compared to the forests and mountains.

Yeah dude, those political borders make me feel like I'm heading to one of three places...

1. The Local Charcoal Chicken Store (in Australia those places used to get normal light globes, paint them different colours and have the lights turn on and off in patterns)

2. A house of ill-repute (allegedly the second best thing to spend loot on other than a better sword and just above ale)

3. A bad 90s rave with Glo-sticks galore...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    A love the look of the forests. Did you create it in PS or was it a texture? If they later, I would love to get a copy : )
    Forest Link

Well thanks for the comments, I decided to ditch the background label highlight stuff, I think the text might be a bit hard to read in a few places, still debating if I should adjust the layer style and brighten it up... but I toned down the borders, and in general I think I'm near done, just need to add a few rivers, and name some of the land features, and this puppy is done. That is until I decide to fix something because of the story I'm writing with it, but until then, I'm not worrying about it!

Name:	Cairan12.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	26408  
    Projects

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

much better ... looks just about done to me too
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast