Thread: Sand

Default Sand

Got a few pictures while I was on vacation on the beach. I'm not sure how useful this will be but I loved the way the sand looks like miniature dunes and planed to at least use it as a reference when drawing hills or dunes on my maps.

Not sure if the thumbnails are working or not and I haven't done anything to clean these up. As I am still learning how to create textures if there is any advice you can give on how to get better pictures please let me know for next time.

And I have no idea who's leg that is but I'd like to know what they are doing sticking it in my picture!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sand.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	25069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SandA.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	25070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SandB.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	25071  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 05-24-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

Info Photographing and Texturing techniques...

Hey,
    I've done a little work with making textures, but I often use satellite images of specific textures I want. If you're trying to take photographs for textures, its most important to minimize any visible perspectiving of the image (think of how roads narrow the farther away they get in an image.) By reducing the perspective in the image, it is more usable.

As for sand:
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...rts-gallery-1/

And if you wanted to make a 'tile-able' texture, you can use photoshop (and I'm sure GIMP too) and follow this tutorial i wrote attached below.

Also, you can even skip that process and use the Healing Brush Tool (in photoshop) alone by first tiling your image over the space you need and healing the seams as you see fit.. (see attached, again, as i used your image). I hope this was clear? And good luck with your work.

Caitlin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut1ex.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	25235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	25234  

Quote Originally Posted by Cmpkittykat View Post
    Hey,
    And if you wanted to make a 'tile-able' texture, you can use photoshop (and I'm sure GIMP too) and follow this tutorial i wrote attached below.
    Caitlin
    For reference there is a fairly long thread about making seamless textures here.

-Rob A>

Two bits of advice I have are: 1) take the picture from as nearly perpendicular to the surface as you can and 2) try to ensure roughly even lighting if possible. Both of these can be corrected for to some degree. You can use the perspective correction tools (PS has one) to even out some perspective issues but it's easier to do with a nearly perpendicular image...I think it might be tough with your example photos because of the surface detail you're capturing. Hope that helps.
    M