Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Continent of Val'Gaard

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great work! I'm particularly impressed by the realistic way the land gets stretched/curved near the pole. That's tough to pull off, and you've done so beautifully. As far as the rivers go, try taking your first version and changing the layer mode around. Multiply, grain merge and hard light are all modes that come out still noticeable, but not eye-popping.

Guild Apprentice

Here is my next version, I've worked on the colors for the land and worked in non-green areas on the map. I'm still not happy with the rivers, but wanted to put this up for comments on the land coloring, thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ValConB2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	25755

Guild Apprentice

Touched up land coloring a bit here, and then did a bump on the rivers to give them a little bit of definition.

Name:	ValConB3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1,017.4 KB 
ID:	25770
    Last edited by Torius; 06-12-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

still feel the rivers are a bit dampend... I would like them to "shine" a bit more - but that's my opinion
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Apprentice

Worked some more on the land colors again, and the rivers. Here is latest version:

Name:	ValNewColor.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	27810

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

All I can say is that you might want to go with thinner rivers since this is at continental scale...unless they're are titanic rivers, then it's cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

I agree Ascension and will have to rework the rivers to be thinner.

What size do folks usually create their continental maps with?
    This is roughly 1/4 of the overall world map and I used 4000 x 2000 for the size. Is that good?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

1 or 2 pixel solid line (don't cut out the land to show the ocean underneath, just make the line a dark or medium blue or teal).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

It's been a while since I last posted an update, but now is a good time. I've been busy with a lot of different elements in this map. I have reworked some of the colors and cleaned up a lot of the remnants that had crept in over time in this version. Redid the Rivers as suggested, where this is a continent, they were just too massive before. Most of the major areas have now been labeled. With regards to cities/towns/villages, I plan to only put capitals on this map. I finally am starting to like how this is shaping up and feeling better about my skills as they improve with time/practice. Thanks for any comments/critiques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ValLabel.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	29387  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks really outstanding. The rivers look much better now (easy to see, but not overpowering), and the color scheme is great. Repped.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast