Thread: Help Build a World with Me (New project - haven't abandones Rhothar yet, though ;)

Wip Help Build a World with Me (New project - haven't abandoned Rhothar yet, though ;)

This is my latest map (see attachment), made using dhalsimrocks' tutorial on using plate tectonics to create a world (infact, you can actually see the faint plate boundaries showing from the other side of the page).

Anyway, it's still very rough and completely unlabeled. I don't even have a name for it yet! -_-

There are six continents and seven oceans. None of them have yet been named.

Some feedback and name ideas would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1t5z48.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	25116  
    Last edited by Rhotherian; 06-22-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Interesting shapes. I like the idea of using plate tectonics, so I'll have to give that tutorial a link. My first thought is that the polar landmasses seem a little large in relation to the more equatorial regions. Secondly, the land seems a little... swirly. It seems like twirl or smudge has been used a lot, resulting in a lot of elliptical shapes in the land, bays/gulfs, and especially the ring in the center. This may be intentional and story related.

I'm sure someone else will suggest using one of the many tutorials on adding coastal detail. I found this one to be most useful and easily scaleable. If you select your landmasses, fill with white, and then add a stroke (play with it to see how thick), then continue with the rest of the tutorial (clouds set to burn, etc). This should result in more detailed coasts while maintaining the basic shapes of your land. It will also help break up the elliptical shapes.

You can see an example of how this process can be used to edit a map with existing shapes on my Ortellum map. Check posts 12 and 13 for the before and after.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Ooo I love your landmass shapes! They have some real character to them.

As to naming things, I'm **** poor at it myself, but here's a great name generator I've been shown: http://seventhsanctum.com/index-name.php Pick your flavor and play some; you might get some ideas that you like! Good luck!

@Mancer: Thanks! ^^

@Natai: Actually, I kinda just drew it as I went. The swirls and circles (excluding the central ring of islands) aren't intentional at all, but I really like how it came out. Reminds me of a style I've seen before somewhere...

Anyway, I may give that tut a shot!

As a partial BUMP, I've decided to inform you guys of the (yet unfinished) progress with this world.

I've decided to call it "Mystrana". It's a fairly normal world, but for one thing. That central ring of islands? The volcanoes that created them is caused by the rotating central plate. This plate has been constant for, well, ever. That's because a rotating stone/metal/haven't-decided-yet disc lies beneath it, run by a huge clockwork system within the planet's core.

The entire world acts as a huge omni-mechanical "eye", of sorts, to see infinately into space, time and reality. The central island is a huge temple that acts as the "pupil", while the disc-plate below it acts as the "iris".

It was created by gods or something. Still need to figure out the story.

I've also started on a detailed tectonic map of the world.

I was thinking the poles lookes like they might not make sense on a sphere so I did this test. Seems to be fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landmap.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	25551

The shapes of the continents are really interesting. I can't wait to see where this one goes.

Wow. Thanks! ^^

Well, the south pole is basically what I wanted. Ibit fatter than I intended, though. The north pole is basically perfect, but for the inner sea's coastlines. Way too pointy.

I'll make a few modifications to the poles (and other deformed areas) when I GIMP my world with Ascention's atlas stylle.

My first thoughts for the north pole's tectoics are also abit skrewed. I noticed a way out, though. Will get to work right away!

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice landmass shapes indeed.

Thanks! ^^