Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Portland, Oregon + question

Help Hello from Portland, Oregon + question

Hi All - This is a fantastic forum, and a great place to learn innovative techniques. There are a lot of very talented and supportive members.

Question: I'm able to teach myself most methods using Photoshop CS4, but I'm struggling with the terrain maps for cities. I love the terrain (primarily the cliffs) created in the "White Rock City" http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...8&d=1273671156 map. If anyone could point me toward a tutorial or post that helps with the cliffs or relief-terrain I would be appreciative. I found the Ascension Tutorial and tried it many times, but I couldn't re-create this terrain with much success (especially cliff faces).

Thanks in advance.
    pdxparklife

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That map was done by LoneWandererD - hopefully they'll see this post and respond to your question.

Oh, and Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

LWD's cliffs are very snazzy, I can't do mine that way either...and I'm the one who taught him with the city tut But then, his whole city here has gone beyond what my city tut shows so it's all him and I'm sort of floundering along behind now. His cliffs have more realism to them and I dig them very much.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thx Steel General. There are several maps with amazin terrain detail (relief maps). LoneWandererD did an amazing job with the map linked above, and I'm still going through a lot of tutorials trying to figure out the tricks of the trade to do it.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you've released a follow-up tutorial, but you did a fantastic job with the version I'm using that starts with "This will be long. This will be hard. There will be blood..."
    I've been grateful to have it for the terrain section.

Alright, P-town representin!

Welcome to the Guild from the SW!

More neighbors. Good to have you here. Can't help with cliffs, though, I'm afraid! Guess we should have a PDX Guild meetup sometime. I think there's a good 20 people from the area on here.
    M

Man do I miss P-Town! I'm stuck in the lower levels of the Abyss of the OC right now, but someday I'll be back. Oh, and welcome to the Guild by the way pdxparklife.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    More neighbors. Good to have you here. Can't help with cliffs, though, I'm afraid! Guess we should have a PDX Guild meetup sometime. I think there's a good 20 people from the area on here.
    M
    You know, I'd be down for that.

Blog Entries

I have a members location map in my sig so stick a pin into it if anyone hasn't already and then you can see who is close by. With firefox if you hover mouse over the dot then it displays who the dot is for but someone recently said that it doesn't do this in IE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast