Thread: Newbie D&D player, taking a shot at DM'ing

Default Newbie D&D player, taking a shot at DM'ing

So, me and my friends have been interested in starting a D&D game for a while now. We've finally committed to it, and I've volunteered to act as DM. We're probably going to start in about a month (yes, I know thats quite awhile. Vacations/school/work are to blame.). I've had lots of good campaign ideas, and a general sense of how part of my world will turn out, but I have a problem... I have no clue how to map my ideas out. I mean, I could do it if I needed to, but it would look ugly; I don't want my players to have to deal with that.

You can imagine my delight at discovering this site. I hope I learn stuff here that will make our campaign great.

Guild Member

Welcome :-) There are a lot of tutorials here that you can use to map your world. Just remember that everything takes practice, and don't be discouraged if your first efforts are less than perfect.

Welcome indeed. Give some of the tutorials a shot...you'll be surprised what you can do. And, good luck on your game.
    M

There are quite a few veteran DMs here too, all too keen to share their wisdom.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeesss... Wise in the ways of Gaming are we... *lol*
    welcome to the guild - if you start by browsing around in the tutorials section you'll be able to pick up some skills in no time. And remember, even doing tutorial in a style that you don't like will make you better to map
    And post you works-in-progress in the WIP forums so we can help you improve
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the board! I would suggest what I did. I was getting hungup on the content for my first map being really good, from the start, but all things take incremental changes in life and so does art... I would just grab some sketchbook a number 2HB and !sketch!, in a conceptual analytical and freeflowing way... don't worry about what it looks like, focus on the overall structure of the world... mass out mountains, forests, plains, seas, bays and oceans and of course rivers... then redraw it, with more detail and maybe at a larger scale then the orginal. Anyways... take this advice, get it out of your head and on paper, otherwise you will forget ideas that could have been captured on plain paper... you will thank yourself later.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    Just remember that everything takes practice, and don't be discouraged if your first efforts are less than perfect.
    I definitely agree. My first few maps looked so bad that I haven't shown them to anyone. However, I needed the practice so they were still really important to have done.

That said, welcome! Also, good luck on your campaign? Are you going to be playing 4e?