Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emarion Star System(s)

Updated yet again with Sincri. I had typed up a nice long post offering some lore and explanations, but the server ate it and I don't want to type it again.
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Another new map, this time of Etheria. Etheria is unique in that it has a single orbital path which its three different planets follow. The native humans of the Wesvahl basically grew their civilization to modern standards before creating the special technology behind teleports. Because of the unique orbit of their star system, they were able to create portals to the other planets, and eventually controlled access in such a way that people preferring a simpler way of life moved to one planet, Eterna, which at the time of my book is in a more or less stagnant medieval state, with many people not even realizing that the portals exist and legislature made by the rulers (who are fully aware of the portals and of Wesvahl) carefully keeping the state of technology roughly constant while allowing further magical progress. Mystanis, which has an ocean similar to that of Bangarash, filled with the same bacteria that makes the water more or less poisonous to all but Bangar, was left alone and preserved as a habitat mostly untouched by man. Though there are a few self-sufficient research sites created by a number of races, their impact on the ecology is closely monitored and regulated.

Anyway, here's the map, and I'll be placing the next four maps in this post as well.

As always, comments and criticism of the art style and such is encouraged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Etheria.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	732.1 KB 
ID:	35331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graduill.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	578.3 KB 
ID:	35396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coet.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	545.9 KB 
ID:	35439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eppita.png 
Views:	358 
Size:	644.7 KB 
ID:	35440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oach.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	848.9 KB 
ID:	35828  

Last edited by Eathanu; 05-15-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    Emaria Star Maps - here

Added Graduill to post #12.

Graduill is an attempt at using more colour to make the system generally more interesting to look at. It sits inside the purple nebula on the star map, and because purple is such an easy colour to look at (less eye-strainy than, say, light blue) I decided to let the fog layer have more opacity than in some previous maps. The yellow cloud orbiting the technically-red-dwarf sun makes the light from the star a yellow colour, except where the cloud isn't as dense. It also cools the rays coming form the sun quite a bit and disperses them even more evenly than other stars. Because of this, Bomia and Graduill have low-tech races living on both of them (Bomia an undeveloped intelligent nonhumanoid species, Graduill a race of humans), while Dragonian humans took the third planet, naming it simply Kingdom, and Aerai colonized one of the two moons of Erah using only a simple terraforming technique to raise the core temperature, and thus make the surface easily livable for the warm-preferring race. Erah's other moon, Akera, is a rare waterworld planet, and while those are usually snatched up for export (fish and water both being very profitable to transport off-planet), the toxic atmosphere makes that a less attractive option.

It's a pity the small size of Akera makes the bright green atmosphere hard to see. It looks quite nice (and by "nice" I mean "oh god it's eating my lungs") on the original planet image.
    Emaria Star Maps - here

Two new maps today. I made one of them yesterday, but got busy with other things and eventually just didn't want to post it here.

Coet is an Emarion red dwarf system in the outer worlds region, containing (in order), a rather useless hothouse planet, a low-water Dragonian (human) world, a planet-wide city with a rocky moon of an uncommon colour, an insidious planet with no desirable features, a very colourful gas giant which is a popular tourist attraction, orbited by two moons which appear to be an error made by the high god Youle as they are perfectly identical, and one of only a few almost perfectly smooth planets, this one a mostly undisturbed red dusty place.

Eppita is a green star, which in Emaria are energetic but not terribly hot, and thus they tend to cause interesting properties in their orbiting planets. Droshre is another hothouse, but it is cool enough to mine without too much expense, and it has a wealth of valuable metals. Mewunus is a blue-green gas giant, so not great for harvesting fuel, orbited by one temperate Human world, a planet with a very thick crushing atmosphere, and a solid metal moon. Inside the Eppita Ice Cloud are Esolar, which is a planet with a core made of ice, rather than the usual molten metal, which supports the life of billions of trees, which cover the surface so thickly it's impossible to land a ship there. Lastly is Fliniel, which is a hydrogen gas giant with a bit of oxygen in the core and enough pressure there to have a liquid water core. Orbiting that is Echo and Ennui, two moons with little to offer.

My current plan is to finish the rest of my maps the way I've been doing them, and then go through one by one and make them prettier any way I can (the most common thing I think is reworking the orbits, maybe making them less opaque and removing the dashes that conflict with the text.
    Emaria Star Maps - here

Added Oach. Oach is a small Human-dominated star system in the Reaches with one planetwide city controlled by a crime family and one strip-mined rocky planet, separated by a huge asteroid belt.
    Emaria Star Maps - here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12