Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A remake of my world

Guild Novice

Wip The world of Ordin

Hello it's been a long time since I last posted anything here. Since then I have decided to remake the map for the world I posted earlier.
    So here's what I've been working on for the last few weeks.
    Any comments and critique is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmap3.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	25195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmap4.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	810.9 KB 
ID:	25205  
    Last edited by Zong; 05-25-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome back!

This looks like a good start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice map Zong. I like the shape of the continents and the seas (Vendian, Bylian, etc.) that are in the north of the continental land mass. Two thoughts. First, find another shade for your deserts other than white. They don't have to be the classic yellow or brown, but I keep thinking arctic deserts when I look at them. Second, you may wish to shrink the visual space of the Altsalian Ocean in some fashion. I'm presuming that you want the viewer's eye drawn towards your continents, but there is so much "empty" ocean that it vies with the land for the viewer's attention. Try islands or island chains, more continents in the south, or cropping the map in the south.

Well this is looking like a good start to a re-created map ^.^ Under the assumption those colors are just temporary for the most part, everything's looking pretty good 'cept for the rather large ocean that has me looking for some southern land - at least a south-polar cap or something, although granted, your planet might not have one. You might want to consider a sort of tundra area between the polar-cap area and the continents/lower landmasses instead of a snowy "cutoff" (although you'll probably be blending that harsh line ^.^ ). Anyway, looking forward to seeing the next iteration! Looking good.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Guild Novice

Thanks for looking at my map.
    I'll see if I can find a better colour for the deserts but they don't look white on my monitor, I think the colour blended well with the land colour.
    This is supposed to be a map of the whole world so that I can wrap it around a sphere, I'll post a picture of that later. I should have added a southern polar cap though.

Guild Novice

Worked some more on this map. Please tell me what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	25635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmap5.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	25634  

Guild Journeyer

I really love the convoluted shape of your continents and seas. I wouldn't worry about the criticism that there's too much empty ocean.

What's the new blue-grey color signify, tundra?

I don't know how rigorous you are trying to be with building the climate, but some of the forest/desert locations seem a little off to me -- assuming that you have an earth-like axial tilt and rotation direction, which may not be the case.

Great work there!

Guild Novice

Question

Still working on this map. I have redone a lot of things, changing and adding continents and trying to work out the climate for this world. I also came up with a name for it, Ordin. But now I need your help, which of these two mountain styles looks best to you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountainTest.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	36042

Guild Novice

I like the map. As the others before already said, very nice coastlines. The colors fit well, maybe I would ad some yellow and brown to the color of the dessert.

My point of view is that you are mixing here to styles mountains/forrests and the rest of the map don't fit. Because they have some "3D-effect" while the rest is flat. So I would suggest to use colors for them (I like the part without mountain / forrests more) - maybe to use map symbols for the mountains, if it's not clear enough by just taking an other color.

The Font is nice.

Maybe you can add some borderlines for the countries you have in the map. Then it's clearer where the names refer to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast