Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Forum Category Suggestions

Default New Forum Category Suggestions

Well, I've been thinking. Perhaps we could have a new category:

Micsellaneous
    Forums for anything that doesn't fit in anything else.

World Building
    World Building discussion. Post your projects here for help or critique.

Science and Mapping
    Post any scientific discussions relevent to maps here.

Role Playing
    Go here to host or join a roleplay set on your maps or worlds.

That's basically my suggestion. The large heading would be the category (like, for example, "Gallery") and the bulleted headings underneath would be the forums (like, for example, "Finished Maps").

Now, the reasons for each:

-World Building: I'm almost sure that most users on this forum are world builders. World Building should have it's own forum as it encompasses more that just mapping. There are also things such as history, peoples, cultures, language, fauna, flora, etc. to consider, which kinda makes it off topic to post world building projects on existing forums.

-Science and Mapping: Simply put, this would be like the "Science Section" of the site. A forum like this would give users the opportunity to explain to others just how climate, tectonics, steller forces, etc. have influences on the look of worlds, and thus their maps, without going off topic on existing forums.

-Role Playing: Who doesn't like a good forum roleplay? Here you'll be able to use your maps as game settings. There really isn't anywhere in this site where one can do this without going off topic yet. I think this would be an awesome addition to the site. Infact, most of my maps are made for RP's.

So, there's my suggestion. To anyone with the power to add those, please consider it. Thanks. ^^

Is it legal to BUMP threads here?

Isn't it a little redundant to ask whether you can bump while a thread while you're effectively bumping it? Sorry, it just something that came to mind.

Anyway I have some thoughts on the thread. The first option is something I was going to suggest as well as I'm also into cartography. The second option tends to be found in threads in both the reference material, general discussion and misc mapping sections so I don't think it's really necissary. The third option however I don't think is entirely appropriate for this site as it's not really directly related to cartography.

Just my thoughts.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Agreed on LonewandererD's assessment of the third item. In essence, there are tons of sites dedicated in one way or another to role playing games and as such, Cartographers Guild has no intention (at present at least). While there is a connection to RPG's for many maps here, the goal of this site is to focus on the maps and making of maps as per the Admin's and Community Leaders discussions.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree as well, while I certainly participated in the Tilt's "who plays 4e thread", I still don't really think its directly appropriate to the CG. While I agree that a majority of members are also RPGers, I feel the CG is and must remain a site dedicated to Cartography, and that a dedicated board for RPG Discussion is outside the needs for all the members. Since some of our members are afficianados of maps, hobbyists, as well as authors looking to better describe their written places and an RPG board might alienate them so how. Plus the first 4e/Pathfinder discussion at the CG was the only thread ever locked, even at least temporarily due to one new members inappropriate posts and rude behavior - that should be an indicator that since the CG is otherwise a friendly and helpful site, adding an RPG board could introduce an unnecessary element to our site's good behavior.

I wouldn't want to see that happen again. So the odd RPG discussion in the General Forums is fine, but we don't need a dedicated board for it, IMO.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

I would post anything to do with world building in the regional/world forums including all the tectonic and climate stuff too. The languages & culture bit has a forum of its own which is not heavily posted to at mo.

The science and mapping might have some legs. Technical aspects of maps like grids, projections, orbits, calendars and so on could be gathered there.

On the RPG front I think too that most people here who RP have several other sites they frequent and take the maps to. It has indeed been disruptive in the past and I dont think this site should overly focus on RP within the maps - just the maps within RP. I do - but some don't RP at all and it can get a bit annoying if your hobby is overtaken by the mega train of RPGs. EnWorld, WotC, Piazo, FUM and loads more can deal with all of that. We have a forum for board games but we would not want to be discussing rules about the technicalities of certain games either. I don't think anyones or CLs are going to come down hard on someone talking RP shop but the threads amass a lot of opinion and then it fizzles out where a collection of differing opinions result - all valid none more superior than others.

On the topic of an RP forum, I understand completely. However, I've verry rarely experienced such problems regarding role playing. Infact, most of my online friends were made role playing. I see no reason for them to be the cause of such... disruptions.

I posted one of my world building projects aswell, though I'd still preffer a seperate forum as world builing is abit more than simply mapping, though that would go out of the site's intention.

As for the science forum, perhaps the resaurces forum is best for such topics.

Al-in-all, perhaps the category could be "More than Mapping" rather than "Micsellaneous"?

There is a site we used to have an "alliance" with that still exists called theCBG.org (Campaign Builders Guild), I still visit all the time. They have a Wiki so your can post your world as you build it, and other members regularly visit your Wiki and critique, plus they have ongoing themed threads like: Religion, Population Growth, How Magic Works, etc. they have members post how things work in their world. Plus they have online discussions where a given world builder is "interviewed" in an online chat type way that other members ask this and that about your setting.

That might be more ideal for World Building issues, rather than cluttering up an otherwise map centric site, such as the CG.

Might be worth a look, anyway.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

agree with the above sentiments - also the roleplaying one ... I see this as a cartography forum and while a thread now and then is about who is playing what, or what boardgames we played when we were kids and such, a dedicated part for rpg's would "water down" the sites purpose. The worldbuilding and science things is still cartography and as such fit the forum nicely
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks, Gameprinter! ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast