Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyopria

Guild Apprentice

Default Hyopria

Alright, so this map is already sitting in Finished maps, but I wanted some comments and constructive criticism on it.
    It's not satellite colours, but it's close. The colours are purposely bright and contrasting based on elevation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newheightmapwip.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	25233  

Guild Journeyer

I don't know what the scale is, but unless these lands are supposed to be nearly surrounded on all sides by steep cliffs, you need more low elevations- especially on the coast.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Alright, here's it with the height in general reduced, coastlines added, and the gradient slightly changed. Given that the islands are Mediterranean climate, I felt like only a few peaks should have a heavy dusting of snow. I'm still trying to figure out how to draw detailed realistic colours, so this one is depressingly inaccurate.

Name:	newheightmap.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	25237  

I really like how you've done this map. The terrain looks excellent and honestly the colors don't detract from the satellite-feel at all. There's a slight "line" between the brown of the mountains the green of the lower lands; dunno if that's 'cause of the way you created the terrain or just my computer. The 'line' doesn't really detract from the overall map, but it sorta gives me the impression that there are sharp cliffs all around the mountain areas in some places. Still a fantastic map.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Guild Apprentice

The contrast between the mountains was a problem. I actually fixed that. Now they're more wooded-looking and generally greener. I'll post that when I'm done with other changes.

Guild Apprentice

Alright. This is a new version. There are several changes. The aformentioned gradient change has made the mountains more green and natural looking.
    I also made height maps for the ocean floor that are barely visible below it.
    I put a ripple effect on the water for realism purposes.

One thing I'm wondering is how I'll do the cities. This is a modern world and the islands have a significant population. I was considering adding urban sprawl, but I am having trouble thinking of a way to integrate it smoothly considering the map is so colourful. Anyone have ideas?

Name:	newheightmap.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	25240  

Pretty cool map. I really like your latest version. Since the land in the righthand lower corner is cut off, I asume that this map's part of a world. What exactly would the scale be in comparison to the overall world?

Guild Apprentice

This is for a larger game. That slightly more arid region is called "Emperatium Drakonicum" and is the close ally of my nation. I'm a combination of Slavs, Semetic traders, and Greeks, but he's mostly Greek and German.

I believe the scale we established for the large map was 15km:1px. This one is 125x125 px on the actual map and 1,875 km x 1875km (3,515,625 square km). So the scale is .93 km per pixel, or 281.236 km per inch. Naturally, this is a kinda weird scale. The one I prefer is 70 km per 1/4 of an inch. It's a much easier number to round and comes out to a straight 280 km per inch.

You mean there's more than just you working on this world? Is this for an RTS-RPG?

Guild Apprentice

It's actually for a region on NationStates populated by some worldbuilders and roleplayers. We have a couple map enthusiasts on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast