Thread: WIP: Flux in Central Maerngau- Flash

Wip WIP: Mystic Isles

So after a year off from mapping, here we go again.

This is a smallish map of the region I;ve done in previous projects. The style of the map itself is blatantly taken from Pasis' excellent tutorial. (THANKS!)
    It's enclosed in a flash movie because I thought it would be cool to show a map of "magical tides" in this world. So I am messing around with the Flint particle system in flash to try my hand at an interactive map.

Right now, the only interactivity is based on mouse movement. The strength of flow in certain directions is based on the x/y coordinates of the mouse within the movie. Play with it.

My goal is to eventually embed the map into something like a virtual armillary sphere. The animated particles will respond to the locations of planets relatvie to each other. I have no idea whether this will work or not, but it's fun to try.

KB.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kingbreaker; 06-14-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Change title
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Wip

Here's a new and improved version. Actually, an entire new map with lots of bells and whistles.

1) Map redrawn from scratch, still in the Pasis style.
    2) The orbiting thingies represent planets. The orbits themselves are realist approximations of the orbits in our solar system, from an earth-centric perspective.
    3) The planets themselves (mostly) don;t do anything yet, but I plan to make them do things when clicked.
    4) the map itself is now click-draggable, which allows it to be much larger than it would be otherwise.
    5) The animation cycles on the map itself are tied to the orbit of the moon.
    6) The map needs lots of tweaking, including labels.

CC welcome.

This is just a screenshot of the actual map. For the real thing, open up the .swf in your browser.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenie.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	25891
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, this is very cool. One question though. When using the map, there are two buttons or icons that just stay near the center of the view. What exactly are those?
    Also, adding some sort of legend and controls would make it a lot easier to understand what's going on.

1) Originally, I had planned to have something cool happen during solar and lunar eclipses. The two icons in the middle represent points where the circle of the moon's orbit crosses the circle of the suns' orbit (the ecliptic). In astronomy and astrology, those points are called the head and the tail of the dragon. When one of them lines up exactly with the sun and the moon simultaneously, an eclipse occurs. Right now, they don;t do anything!

2) Good suggestions. Yes, I will be adding some contextual info (possibly with tooltips) to have the whole things make more sense.