Thread: !st attempt at map making for a amateur photohsop fan

Default !st attempt at map making for a amateur photohsop fan

Hi. My name is nightspaladin, long time lurker and admirer of all the fine work here, first time poster. Been working on some battlemaps for a 4e conversion of The Savage Tide AP, as well as a few side maps just for fun, so i thought i would post them here and hopefully get some feedback from the masters at work. On a few of the maps i have used stock imagery from other sources, such as the sarcophagus and the statue. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue nixie.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	25264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deaddogalleypost.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	25265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abandoned graveyardpost.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	25266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road to vor kragalpost.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	25267  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First of, welcome to the guild, and now to some quick comments before having breakfast with the kids.
    All maps:
    You should make some thinner lighter lines to separate the squares, the draw attention to them selves, which they of course shouldn't.
    Map 1:
    Coould need some more detailing - but looking good
    Map 2:
    The grate is rather big I think, and the green stuff to the east of the statue seems very thick flowing (but it might be of course)
    Map 3:
    Love the spiderwebs, the tile that broke of looks a little placed, normally if a tile breaks, it will still lay in its place but just have cracks and bit that has disspeared due to rain and wind.
    Map 4:
    All in all fine but the large rocks should cast longer shadows than the stepping stones. I suggest making a new layer and handpainting longer shadows with a soft brush (opacity 10-20) that will create the nicest shadows, but you can also place all those stone on a separate layer (or several depending on stone size would be better) and then change the drop shadow value for each layer.

Congrats on your first upload of maps and have some rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the awesome feedback. i really appreciate it.

As for map 4, i had tried a drop shadow effect on the larger rocks, but it made them appear as though they were floating too much. Here is another attempt at it. let me know what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road to vor kragalretry.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	25270  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

much better shadows, gives a greater feeling of height to the rocks. The lines look better lighter, but I think you should make them thinner still, they should only just be seen.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I agree the lines were too dark on the first posting. It felt like I was looking through a screen or something. Much better lighter.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt