Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: June 2010 Entry: Wheel of Time - from Falme to Fal Dara

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

now the steddings are much more in tune with the map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Don't mean to un-necrotize the thread, but I just want to say that this map is so immeasurably better than anything I have ever seen in official media and that's not even getting into extra detail, the art quality alone is much better. Definitely going to use this map on my next read through.
    Last edited by SSJPabs; 09-11-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks so much! This map was a labor of love. I'm glad you like it and hope it makes your next read-through more enjoyable.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Praise

Well, I'd like to thank for this map, too. It's a great piece of work.

However in case there will be interest in improving the map in the future, I'd like to point out several things that sprang to my mind while watching it closely:
    • The color or the country name labels seems to differ a little from time to time. Some of these labels are above the light green shades that are used to make a difference between the lands of the different countries and some seem to be below that layer, causing them to be light green. This can be seen for example when comparing Murandy and Altara with Gheldan and Amadicia, but also on other places.
    • The country name label of Amadicia seems to be below the flows of the river Boern.
    • The Venir Mountains near Ebu Dar should be north of the Kabal Deep, not east of it. This is because when traveling with his Ashaman to conquer the Seanshan (or how ever they are written ), Rant travels to the boarder of Illian, where there are already mountains. Other circumstantial evidence to the location of that mountains are that by controlling the mountains, one controls the nearby road, as well as the effect of the usage of the bowl of the winds being described as notable over a certain amount of miles. Other maps, such as a this series of maps focusing on the traveling of different Taveren characters, also show the fightings happening in that mountains north of the Kabal Deep.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I know this is a million years after you created this map and you probably don't check this thread much or at all anymore, but I wanted to thank you so very much for this incredible piece of work! I'm an art student going to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division, and I'm learning what all goes into design and typography and color theory, all the things that make up a good piece of artwork and This design is just amazing! Everything was so well thought-out and you got incredible critiques and tips from others in the community and used it to make the piece even better. I looked at every map, starting with the first sketch, so I feel like I followed your journey. I had a bzillion tabs open so I could compare changes from one to another. It was a fun ride!

I'll be honest. Though I loved 99% of the piece, the only thing I couldn't connect with the whole time was the border. That is UNTIL the next to last version. You put on that burnished black border and I loved it! Then you changed it for the final version. BUT, that's the only thing I don't love to death is the border.

If you check this thread at all, I wanted to ask permission to use my Photoshop CS5 program to just take the black border from the next-to-last version and apply it to the final version. It's only for my private use and I wouldn't dream of using it for commercial anything or even posting it online anywhere. Though I definitely think I'll be posting the URL to this thread to some of my WoT friends! =) Anyway, would that be okay for me to do that just for my own private use?

Thanks again, Imm. Your blood, sweat, and tears really paid off! =)

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Oh, one more thing I wish you had added is some markers for the Ways. Maybe something happens in the stories that makes them not important anymore? I wouldn't know. I'm still only on book #6. Anyway, I'm not hoping for you to add them cuz this is an old project and you've probably moved on. I just thought I'd throw that thought out there.

I'm still in love with your map! It stays open on my desktop constantly so I can reference it while reading. =)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112