Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2010 Entry: Wheel of Time - from Falme to Fal Dara

Blog Entries

Map June 2010 Entry: Wheel of Time - from Falme to Fal Dara

My job is to get an entry in fast... one that makes everyone else thing, "gee, I can beat that!"

Well here you go. My favorite books of all times are Robert Jordan's (RIP) Wheel of Time series. I have read and reread the series a number of times, which is a daunting undertaking as there are now twelve books and each is 800-1000 pages long. I just finished the twelth book for the first time. A chap named Brian Sanderson is finishing the series out after working with Robert Jordan for the months before his death. I must admit, being a solid Jordan fan, Sanderson is doing a good job. I thoroughly enjoyed the 12th book.

Anyway, here's the first pass, with just the shapes of the land masses and the names of cities and countries put in. There are many settlements not included of course, and even though some small ones are there, they are included because of their significance to the story line, not because they are well-known in the world.

As you'd expect, political borders tend to end where relatively impassable obstacles such as mountain ranges begin. Also note that much of the land is unclaimed. Even the mighty Tar Valon is outside the boundaries of any country.

Not sure what the problem is with the attachment. I'll fix this as soon as I can get some assistance.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel of Time.jpg 
Views:	3202 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	25277  
    Last edited by Steel General; 05-30-2010 at 08:21 AM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice (and big*lol*) - love Jordan's books as well, remember I had a hard choice once - between finishing book number 1 or leaving it to go into town and buy number 2 before the shop closed for the weekend - choice 2 won (and I bought book 3 too). I'm only up to book 10 myself but planning to catch up soon. However if you like Brandon Sandersons writing you should definitly check out Mistborn - best damn fantasy I've read in a long time, he has developped a whole different world and a whole new way of magic - it's fantastic!
    oh... and will there be plot-spoilers?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I had to re-upload your image, unfortunately it has fallen victim to whatever bug there is in the system and the thumbnail isn't showing.

For some reason maps that go out of the "frame" bug the crap out of me
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Thanks SG. It bugs me too. I hate feeling helpless and I know nothing of the finer points of vBulletin. All I know is that all of the flexibility of html is kind of lost on thsi platform, although I'm sure there's some brainiac way of invoking html code within your post. I haven't figured it out if there is.
    ----------

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Agreed, Tilt, in fact I was just saying almost the same thing about Mistborn yesterday at my niece's wedding.

Just read 12 a few months ago actually, and I'm very happy to see someone doing the WoT map here; the style in the books was never really my favorite. Thanks Immolate

ohw nice Immolate! Been playing a DnD campaign in this world for almost 10 years now. The only reason I didnt read the books yet is to not spoil the campaign, so please go easy on the details of the map By now my character is getting the idea he's actually the "dragon reborn" (whatever that may be ...) cheers!

The 'Wheel of Time' is the best fantasy I've ever read. I'm reading book 11 atm ! (Knife of Dreams)

Simply awesome.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Blog Entries

It didn't take long for my map to go from 700k at the least lossy setting to 7Mb.

I did a lot of work on this Sunday while my wife was at work. I added some texture and labeled the cities and places. I looked for a banner that fit for the countries but, though I found some I liked, none had the look I was going for, so I created that using the tablet. The few mountains I did I'm still not sure of. There are a lot of mountains on this map and they need to harmonize.

The rivers were a huge pain in the butt. They use shape dynamics to taper from mouth to headwaters, but this requires guessing the length of the river and often retrying. Another variable is the size of the river at the start. I think I did well enough at that but I did have to go back and resize a few times. This map has a lot of rivers in it, so it was important they look good. I think they turned out nicely.

I still have mountains, city markers, forests and fluff to put in.

I value your thoughts and opinions, so feel free to offer them.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel of Time.jpg 
Views:	12405 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	25300  
    Last edited by Immolate; 05-31-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    ----------

Looks good so far Immolate! I really don't have any criticism at the moment.
    I am currently rereading the series, so I can read the 12th book. Can't wait to see the job Sanderson did
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

He did a great job Gandwarf, you won't be disappointed.

Looking great so far, Imm ... I especially like those banners. You may want to think about a different font instead of/in addition to lower case for the terrain areas ... the same font all over is kind of blending a bit.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast