Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who plays Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition in here?

I play 4ed every Tuesday (in fact, I'll be playing in a few minutes). For what it's worth, I think the stable structure, simplicity and balance makes sure that allot more time is left for actual roleplaying. I played 3.0 and 3.5 longer than 4, but feel more at home with 4 already.

I feel making maps for 4ed, is somewhat... limited. It would work if it was a tile system or something that you can rearrange every other combat. In 4ed environment plays such a large roll that I tend to make a new combat map for every other encounter instead of reusing environments for several fights. So I usually just doodle lines on a white-board and be done with it. ><

Yes, BBS = Bulletin Board Service. The precursor to forum communities like these, in the days before dial-up Internet service. The biggest local BBS in my hometown (Wichita, KS) had a user base of about 300 or so, and I ran a four-year-long play-by-email (PBeM) game with 6-12 players at any given time. I think about 30 people played in it at one time or another.

I hasten to point out that as many times as Murtagh claimed he was too old for this s***, he stayed in the action.

Oh, and IG = IndustryGothica, who is running a 4e game set in The Witchlight Strand
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 06-01-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: style
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Yes, BBS = Bulletin Board Service. The precursor to forum communities like these, in the days before dial-up Internet service. The biggest local BBS in my hometown (Wichita, KS) had a user base of about 300 or so, and I ran a four-year-long play-by-email (PBeM) game with 6-12 players at any given time. I think about 30 people played in it at one time or another.
    okay.. 1 point for me - just didn't think BBS's still existed

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I hasten to point out that as many times as Murtagh claimed he was too old for this s***, he stayed in the action.
    you're absolutely right - and the time when I stop mapping/drawing is when my stiffened cyberfingers draw their final shape (probably several minutes after rest of the body have given in)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Been running a 4E game since it debuted. In fact, I posted my maps (crappy though they were) for that campaign when I introduced myself here. I like 4E, but it's not D&D. It's an entirely different animal. We (my group of 10 players and I) play 4E in an ongoing campaign, with occasional breaks for other game systems. Right now, we're alternating between a GURPS game being run by a friend, a Savage Worlds campaign (with a pulp/fantasy feel), and my 4E game.
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whtknt View Post
    I like 4E, but it's not D&D. It's an entirely different animal.
    Well, there I have to disagree - thats like saying, I like my new MPV, but its not a car... just because thing evolve doesn't mean they become something new - and I'm guessing that since Wizards have purchased D&D, they decide whats D&D (at least publicly). I've played D&D since 1980, and its changed A LOT since then, and it's changed several times... but it's all D&D
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Tilt,
    I think more of it being like....

D&D+AD&D is a Model T
    2E was the mass produced sedan of the 50s
    3E was the all-terrain vehicle
    4E is the "personal 4WD people mover never intended to get off the suburban roads"

Yes they are all cars... but they are very different beasts. So yes, they are all RPGs and are all based on those first ideas put out by G.G. But they are not the same. Not even close.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Guild Member Facebook Connected

::nods:: Not quite sure I'd have put it that way, Juggernaut, but your discourse illustrates my point. I've been playing since 1978 (or thereabouts) and yes, it has come a long way. However, in previous editions, there was at least enough of the original mechanics that you could recognize its origins.

In 4E, much of what made D&D recognizable has been changed or removed. That isn't to say that 4E isn't fun; I enjoy the heck out of it. But when my father (who had not played since 2E) sat down to join our campaign, it was like starting over for him.

As DM, there have been quite a few conventions that I've had to acclimate to, not all of which are bad. The loss of the Vancian magic system, for example, is a good change, but it creates a whole new style of play. On a similar note, I have had to transition from extended dungeon crawls to brief encounters (by the book, the players should be able to complete an adventure without an extended rest being necessary), which goes against my grain. And let's not even get into the idea that players should provide the GM a list of magical items they want...
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

My automotive comparison (its too fun not to join!):

D&D + AD&D = Stutz Bearcat, sure its an old car, but an awesome old car!
    2e = Desoto, nothing flashy, a dependable family car.
    3e = 4WD Pickup Truck with over-sized tires, V8 engine, KC headlamps, Roll bar, a winch up front - perhaps too many doodads, but still a man's vehicle.
    4e = Mini Cooper, its got a prestige name, runs well and fun to drive, but beyond that, its just a tiny, little car.
    Pathfinder = 4WD pickup, with an efficient V6 - back to a man's vehicle, but smarter.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-09-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

this was meant as a thread to find out who plays D&D and not a 4e is better or worse than other versions - we've had enough of those just about everywhere... just check just about every thread Wizards post on Facebook where the Anti-4e people come out... no, we don't want your electricity, we'll farm the old way ... I think 4e is a fantastic edition and we have tons of fun playing it.. and as a car its the new Zenvo, sharp and fast
    Now, I never played Pathfinder - but I'm sure I would enjoy it if invited, like I'd still enjoy playing 3.5 if asked. But I'm looking forward and the new edition has the absolute same amount of roleplaying, cause its the roleplayers that decide, the combats are more fun cause you can do much more than you could with earlier editions (and I'm guessing more than Pathfinder - cause with x books of powers the numbers are high.) ... that doesn't mean its better than anything else, cause thats for everyone to decide for them selves. But I did get provoked (in a mild way) that it suddenly wasn't D&D just because it got new "combat rules".

Is 4e perfect, no far from it, was it ever.. no... will it ever be.. Nah...
    regs tilt

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    My automotive comparison (its too fun not to join!):

D&D + AD&D = Stutz Bearcat, sure its an old car, but an awesome old car!
    2e = Desoto, nothing flashy, a dependable family car.
    3e = 4WD Pickup Truck with over-sized tires, V8 engine, KC headlamps, Roll bar, a winch up front - perhaps too many doodads, but still a man's vehicle.
    4e = Mini Cooper, its got a prestige name, runs well and fun to drive, but beyond that, its just a tiny, little car.
    Pathfinder = 4WD pickup, with an efficient V6 - back to a man's vehicle, but smarter.
    GP
    I like this version much better

@tilt: I doubt there is a forum anywhere that you can start a thread titled "Who here Plays 4e?" and not have it devolve into an edition war. It speaks volumes about the fine people here that it has remained civil.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast