Thread: WIP - an as-yet unnamed region

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WIP - an as-yet unnamed region

Here's the map I'm currently working on as the region in which my new fantasy novel will take place. As yet, I don't have a name I like for it so my "placeholder" name for it is Teyemanon (try spelling that backwards ).

The region shown in this map is roughly the size of the Anatolian peninsula (possibly a little larger) with a similar overall geography of very rough terrain with limited arable land. The southern landmass is on a plate that is colliding northwards so in another few million years the narrow sea/waterway will gradually be closed off to become a series of lakes and eventually dry land. At present it remains navigable to the brave, though the currents and riptides are fairly hazardous.

So far I have layers completed are:
    - the overall shape land/water
    - the sea and sea textures
    - the coastline (though I'm not 100% happy with the shading so I might go back and rework it
    - there are a pair of lake in the north (with connecting waterway) and another pair in the south that are only placeholders and will get their own separate layer later
    - the greenish layer will act as a background for the various land layers I'll be working on next

Still on my to-do list...
    - additional layers to suggest the limited regions of arable land, larger swaths of Mediterranean-like grassland, and large areas of steppelands
    - exposing dirt/scrubland/rock upper elevations (perhaps including alpine glaciers in the deep north-east interior)
    - major rivers
    - the aforementioned proper treatment for the lakes and connecting waterways
    - and then once all that it done, start adding human settlements, limited "roads", etc.
    - then go through the torturous task of naming everything that needs a name (and getting the names to look pretty)
    - and then finally to add illustrative components (scale, compass rose, etc.)

Any comments/criticisms are welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teyemanon_1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	619.8 KB 
ID:	25396