Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Entry: The Department of Mysteries

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the circular are definitly better - I'd go with that design on all tiles
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks tilt, that makes me feel a little better about my judgment

Ok, so yet another reason to post something even if it's terrible: delineating what my issues were made it easier to go forward on them. I put a multiply layer over the square tiles so that the white between them was at the same level as the circulars, then took out the walkways I was talking about in the Space room. I also put a greenish tinge on all of the "marble" to match the movie depiction a bit better. Do the squares look ok now or should I actually redo them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	25550  

Blog Entries

much better match between the tiles now
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Hmm, don't know if this will help either, but here is a 3000x3000 tile floors in a circle pattern that matches one of the two I posted earlier. I am about to go out, but I'll post the other one in this same post later tonight.

Name:	black marble 1 circle.jpg 
Views:	1734 
Size:	1,013.4 KB 
ID:	25554  

Thanks, BB! I'm putting the floor aside for the moment to save my sanity, but once I go back to it (which I'm sure is inevitable) I'll experiment with them.

Marble issues being set aside for the moment, I started playing with fonts, added the visitor badge as the first piece of detritus that will litter the negative space, gave the lift a wooden floor, and started on lighting. My hope is that if I put off the marble long enough, I'll find that all of the furniture etc. covers enough of it that it's fine as is

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	post5.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	25562  

Blog Entries

so about that marble floor... *lol*
    like your lighting.. really good - and love the wooded floor - very nice texture you've got there
    The Visitor Card.... hmmm... I'm not sure where it should be, it sort of looks good where it is, as long as I don't think of it in context to the map - but if its a real map, then perhaps the visitor card should be on top of it? ... and maybe it could use a nice border - you know how magicians are
    regs tilt

I like watching this evolve! Order of the Phoenix was my favorite of the series, and this was certainly a memorable setting. I really felt like the kids became adults here.

I agree with tilt that it would be cool if the "detritus" were scattered on top of the map. Also, maybe you could give the visitor pass a little embossing and make the paper look aged. Those wizards had a real touch of class about them--even the bureaucrats!

Blog Entries

I love the circular tiles Gidde. They look perfect. The brick pattern tiles OTOH, they make the square floors feel like a roof. My experience with tiles in real life is that different sizes and patterns can be pleasing to the eye, but staggering feels awkward. The floor is such a major part of this map, I think it deserves the effort needed to get it perfect. What I do... not that I'm a model for success... when faced with a deficit of ideas, is hit the web hard and benefit from the experiences of the many who have gone before me.

Disclaimer: I'm one observer, and to others the brick pattern may be perfect. I always listen to myself first, then try to understand the consensus of others, if there is one.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, guys!

It's a new day, which means I had the nerve to try the square floors again. So, here's my latest attempt at matching the circulars. I changed them to square, because Imm, you were right -- they looked roofish. I did keep the stagger though, because they're staggered in the movie and I'm trying hard to remain true to the book/movie as much as possible.

@ tilt & Krulwich: The badge certainly needs more polish, and will probably end up on top of the map eventually; it's below it right now so that I can finish the floor plan. I just love that visitor badge so much every time I read the book that I had to get it into the picture so that I could look at it as I worked (and it provided a nice respite from black marble).

I also added some shadow inside the walls and shadows from the torchlight into the lift.

Thumbs up/down on the new square marble?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	post6.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	25572  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast