Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Entry: The Department of Mysteries

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default June Entry: The Department of Mysteries

The Department of Mysteries, deep in the bowels of the Ministry of Magic (from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, in case anyone hasn't read it), is way too interesting a place not to be mapped I think this one may be beyond my skill, but what the hey, that's what challenges are for.

So far I have only a basic sketch which shows the placement of the six doors that are actually touched upon in the book. The reason I'm posting it even though it's so rough and basic is that I'd like everyone's opinion: Should I add stuff that isn't mentioned to "complete" the map? Or leave the other six doors a mystery (yeah, pun intended. I'm a nerd.)?

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	467.3 KB 
ID:	25397  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea, I just watched that the other night.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks SG!

Moving onward, here's the first pass at the Space room. According to Luna, it's a dark room full of planets, and some of the time they were just floating, with no floor beneath them. Pluto got itself blown up, and Ron got to see Uranus. Still need to put in a partial floor, and I'm giving this room a door to the room of Death eventually. Also, when I put in the partial floor I'll be moving the planets around a bit (hence no shadows on Jupiter from Earth/Moon).

I haven't decided how much ambient light to use; right now this is Celestia's medium ambient light setting.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	post2.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	25411  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good - and great idea, must admit that I don't remember that - must have been to long since I saw the movie...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It wasn't in the movie, I just rewatched it yesterday ... only in the book. Update coming soon; the black marble floors are giving me hell

Do you need any black marble textures? Here are a couple I'd made in Genetica. They should be perfectly tileable.

Name:	black marble 1.jpg 
Views:	2162 
Size:	574.2 KB 
ID:	25544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black marble 2.jpg 
Views:	882 
Size:	893.5 KB 
ID:	25545  

Hey, those may indeed help! Thanks so much! (I don't have Genetica and failed at using the viewer, lol)

Blog Entries

It is challenging to model in two-dimensional space a place whose peculiarity derives from its defiance of the physical laws. I admit that the department of mysteries is an intriguing place, because it calls out to the reader: all of the rules you know don't apply here. Even the rules of magic seem loose and flexible. This is probably the one series of books I've read more often than Jordan. It is a story that is bigger than its author, as she relied upon each of us to fill in the blanks. For those of us steeped in fantasy and science fiction, it had the potential to be enormous.

I never cared for the movies. I guess when the standard you have to live up to is Lord of the Rings, it's nearly impossible. Perhaps someone will do the movies over again in twenty years and capture the wonder of the books effectively. For those of you who love the movies as-is, I envy you.

I think my advice Gidde would be to try a black marble texture with less "activity" as well and see how that looks, comparatively. Perhaps overlaying a partial galaxial sworl over the floor to heighten the sense of infinite depth.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you need a black marble I can help you if you want - check out my marble tiles - they are white but I can easily convert to black
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

As much as I hate to post something this terrible, so many people are trying to help that I figure I'll post where I'm at and what I hate so that you all have more to go on

So here's where I'm at. I started with the rectangular tiles, tried to make the circular tiles to match (failing miserably at the matching), and now I like the circles better. In the space room, I think I need to take out all of the partial floor except for the 2 circular areas and the one platform near the door to the death room. The death room is barely started; I need to texture the floors so that there's a walkway around the edge, and then steps down, and then flat, steps up, and flat in the middle (for the arch). I'm going by the book definition of that room rather than the movie depiction, btw.

Another thing I'm having trouble with is that everything is black. The floors, the doors, the walls ... which makes differentiating between them extremely difficult. I went with a lighter (but still pretty dark) gray for the walls, but I as yet have no idea what to do with the doors, or the background for that matter. White obviously is horrid, but black washes the entire image out. I'm thinking of maybe something misty; I toyed with the notion of a misty circle (like one of the prophecy globes), but I just don't know.

So, that's where I'm stuck. I guess the feedback I'm looking for most is: do the circular tiles look good enough that I should redo the square tiles to match? Or should I start from scratch with both of them? Do the walls look appropriate?

//Edit: I was so intent on my frustration here that I forgot to thank tilt and immolate for their insight and help. Thanks guys! (/sheepish look)

Name:	post3.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	25549  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast