Thread: Cartographer's Choice

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Cartographer's Choice

I went looking through the forums yesterday trolling for inspiration, and noticed something. Now that we're posting CC maps on the front page, they aren't available in the CC section of the forums, so they're kind of spread around if one tries to look at all of them. So what I'd like to request (if it's not too much trouble) is, can we add a thumbnail sticky to the CC forum akin to the one in the Finished Maps section? That way we can browse through all of the best of the best at once.

//Edit: In the meantime, rather than just asking someone else to do more work, I'm going to start putting together a post like Immolate's challenge winner post. That might be the best solution anyway.

On a related note (and to mirror a previous comment), would it be possible to put the last two Cartographer's Choice maps in the forum section, instead of (or in addition to) in the "Cartographer's Choice" blog section? It'd be better to have all of these great maps in the same place!

Oh, and Gidde's idea of a "thumbnail" sticky is also great!

The archive post is now up, so hopefully it will be easier to browse them all now

Welll.....

The intent was to migrate the Cartographers choice to the CMS part (front page) of the web site so all new choices moving forward would exist there and only there. (They aren't a blog post, they are technically "articles" and can be browsed through the "Cartographers Choice" Section. The historic forum would just be maintained as an archive.

EDIT: We can go and "promote" all the old ones to articles and have them show up in that section now.... Take a look I did a few. They key is to overide the date and backdate it to the original post date.

-Rob A.

Wow, that'd be a lot of work, RobA. (I looked and only saw one up there, btw). Honestly, for my purposes the index post I just made suffices, although thumbnails would be nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Wow, that'd be a lot of work, RobA. (I looked and only saw one up there, btw). Honestly, for my purposes the index post I just made suffices, although thumbnails would be nifty.
    I only promoted the one just as a test. It takes about 30 seconds per... So it is for sure do-able. The question is whether it is worth it to keep everything in one place moving forwards?

-Rob A>

Well, I suppose it would depend upon how the CMS section handles archiving of lots of articles. It looks right now like it just shows the last couple, but that's probably because we don't have many. If it does it like blogging software, where it archives by year/month/so on it might indeed be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The intent was to migrate the Cartographers choice to the CMS part (front page) of the web site so all new choices moving forward would exist there and only there. (They aren't a blog post, they are technically "articles" and can be browsed through the "Cartographers Choice" Section. The historic forum would just be maintained as an archive.
    The only problem I have is that the featured maps are split between the forum and the article section.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    EDIT: We can go and "promote" all the old ones to articles and have them show up in that section now.... Take a look I did a few. They key is to overide the date and backdate it to the original post date.
    That looks good! If this is feasible to do for all of the featured maps in the forum, it'd be a good solution.