Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Entry - Unnamed yet

Default June Entry - Ansalon

Ah a tribute! I just have to squeeze in time to work on this (and I will finish it this month ) ... The map is of the world that really opened my mind to fantasy. Many may consider it the soap opera of the fantasy novels, but hey, it got me addicted... I love the theme where good does not always prevail but where the balance between good and evil is a law of nature... I grabbed a copy of a map, traced it, then projected it to a globe and threw in a lot of textures, shades, shines and other stuff to try to really glorify this world! Some of the textures are the awesome paper textures from Sapiento. Next step is to get into the details ...

Oh and I didn't put in the name of the world yet, maybe someone recognizes it...

cheers!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jun01.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	927.4 KB 
ID:	25404  
    Last edited by Djekspek; 06-06-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Very cool style. "Hope is the denial of reality" .... sounds like Goodkind (which I gave up on because of the hopelessness lol).

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That looks good - only read a single book myself a thousand years ago - so thanks goes to Gidde for telling me what it is
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hahaha ... except I could very well be wrong! It's been years since I read that series.

According to the interwebs, it's Margaret Weis
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

See? Someone smart enough to use Google-fu on the problem. Thanks jfrazierjr for the correction. Dragonlance then? Never read those, but my cousin LOVES them.

Blog Entries

loved dragonlance as a kid, now they are a bit to "sweet" for me - So give me some Robin Hobb big feelings dark lives or Joe Abercrombies nitty gritty dark fantasy instead. But Dragonlance is a fantastic place to start, especially if you also start playing rpgs So i believe Djespeks glowing world is a fair representation
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

hehe, yeps it's Dragonlance indeed, a map of the continent of Ansalon. I agree tilt, it's a bit sweet and weis & hickman are outclassed by Hobb for sure, but I just loved the Tasslehof and Fizban characters when i read those books (must be over 20 year ago though that I read them). Hmm, maybe i'll go for a re-read when i finish my current stack of to-be-read books cheers!

Blog Entries

I tried to do that some years ago - but was disilusioned... so now I'm waiting till my kids are old enough to hear it instead - its really good beginner fantasy
    regs tilt

I think this is gorgeous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast