Thread: The Theopolis of Qe-Sadah

Wip The Theopolis of Qe-Sadah

I love National Geographic. After perusing a recent issue i came upon an article about yemen, and had an epiphany. i had been looking for ideas for a desert town for my campaign, but didn't really have anything on the plate. i fooled around with a few things but didn't really like what i designed. then i found this article, and there was a picture of a wonderful mud city that was over 800 years old. This was a city with a wall, gate houses, a fortress monastery, and lots of evocative pictures. i found it on google earth and thankfully there was a beautiful picture of it. so, i copied the image, put it into corel and started playing around. the following is what i came up with.

anyone has an opinion, let me know. i'm going to be working on this over the next week or two, just piddling around. ideas are welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sadah.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	554.6 KB 
ID:	1257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sadah2.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	408.2 KB 
ID:	1258  

A colleague of mine has been working in Sanaa for the last year, and she sent me pictures of the old town...the Yemen is the most fantastic place for fantasy desert architecture....and then you look at places like Dubai and Abu Dhabi and ask yourself why they're building a legoland of over there.

This may be off-topic (or just sidelong), but I really like that Google map when zoomed out. When I zoom in for the "actual size" the random over blurred/ over sharpened look caused by the photographic process are not pleasing to the eye. But at the zoom out size the colors and complex details fill the frame to suggest a giant, teeming city. THis is close to what I've always wanted to do in my city maps; I will definitely use this in my next Photoshop city project!

Anyway, sorry if this threadjacked!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Another similarly evocative location I found in Google Earth is Harar, Ethopia.

-Rob A>

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to seeing more of this TM...very cool idea...

I started a map of Ur a long time ago in CC2/CD2 when I was using the Sumerian mythology for a campaign...I miss those days...

Here's the original site of Ur...you can see the temple/ziggurat of Nanna still there...I would love to visit because I'm a HUGE fan of Sumerian mythology.

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ur
    Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...&t=h&z=16&om=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ur.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	1294  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin