Thread: Valley of a thousand caves

Default Valley of a thousand caves

On my campaign map, I labeled a section the "valley of a thousand caves". I want to create a battle map of a portion of that area and I think I need some suggestions. Every time I've attempted something it just looks like smears (that are supposed to be hills) with dark spots (that are supposed to be cave openings).

I think part of the problem is that I can't locate a decent close-up, top-down image of the type of hills I want, that I can use as an example. Maybe someone has seen something they could link?

I'm visualizing extremely hilly terrain riddled with gullies that twist and turn. The terrain alone restricts vision severely. In the gullies, you can't see past the next turn which is maybe 20' away. On the hill tops you can see other hilltops but not into the gullies so you could be surrounded by all sorts of creatures and not even know it. I'm picturing a damp environment with lots of vegetation and many stagnant pools between the hills (even marsh-like in areas). The gullies are also continually shrouded in fog reducing visibility even further.

I've been working in PS but I think I've given up on my artistic ability. I'm digging out Dundjinni next to see what I can do with that.

I would love some suggestions!
    ________
    Honda Rafaga specifications
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-09-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Take a look at the Genetica Texture packs (that come with their free viewer - which also has limited rendering capability), if nothing else it may stimulate your creativity.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Take a look at the Genetica Texture packs (that come with their free viewer - which also has limited rendering capability), if nothing else it may stimulate your creativity.
    /facepalm I have that and never think to use it.
    ________
    buy herbalaire vaporizer
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-09-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It was a godsend of a discovery when I found it, I use their textures all the time.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.