Thread: my first proper map - World map of Voi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default my first proper map - World map of Voi

I've finally finished the basic map for a conworld i'm creating (for writing purposes), and i'm pretty pleased with the results. Its taken about a month working at least a couple of hours every day. This project has really been my first proper introduction to photoshop, and this considered, I think i've not made a bad job of it.
    I would like to thank Tear for that absolutely amazing Saderan tutorial, as it has helped me figure out how to use photoshop from literally the ground up.

This is the basic map with no labelling except a title and a compass.
    edit - it looks alot better on the fully zoomed in version : P

edit (21/7/10) - uploaded a google earth overlay jpeg made from the same map
    Last edited by Primitius; 06-17-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Hey, not bad at all for your first go at mapping! I especially like your mountains.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very, very good use of color, and fantastic coasts.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That is a very nice map, five stars! Lol, I was planning to entitle the thread of my first real map, "My first proper map" as well.

Nicely done! Will you be adding towns and cities? Rivers? Etc.?
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Well, the landscape looks pretty good. Very nice done! But for me a map is nothing without any labeling. That is, what breathes life in a map.

Maybe we will see some nice labels on it at some time?

Quabbe

hey thanks for checking my map peeps! I thought this thread had sort of died, so it's nice to see people still checking it! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    Well, the landscape looks pretty good. Very nice done! But for me a map is nothing without any labeling. That is, what breathes life in a map.

Maybe we will see some nice labels on it at some time?

Quabbe
    lol, it's definitely not a finished map until it has labels, you're right : P.
    Basically as i've designed this map for a conworld I'm creating, it will gradually become more annotated as I work out the history of each nation. So far I only have a very small amount of labels (along with generic land labels like northern continent/ southern continent etc.) worked out. When I've got to a stage where I have a nice 'complete looking' level of annotation, I will definitely be posting it up here! WIll probably take months to finish though.