Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Map and need advice

The other odd thing I discovered at the shaded relief site is that to "look good" you need to subtly change the lighting direction depending on the feature direction. For example, if you light from 10:00, it will shade a ridge running from 1:00 to 7:00 well, but not at all shade a ridge running 10:00-4:00. So you need to light different ridgelines from slightly different direction to optimally make them stand out.

This is "simple" when hand shading, but "hard" if trying to do it programatically.

-Rob A>

It isn't that hard, but does require a little planning. At least in photoshop.

Here is an example of two ridges that use different directional shading.

The real key here is to uncheck the Global Light setting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ridge shading.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	1391  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Alright heres an updated version that I absolutely love, need to start creating the climate zones and what not (and rivers/lakes) so I can figure out what each area is, also need to do finer detail to the continents creating more valley floors and other places, instead of just a constant "hill/mountain" look. Suggestions? Tips? Idea? anything is welcome

First picture is a higher res/ more detailed section, and the second picture is my entire map

p.s. Thank you GlennZilla for your guide on how you did your map, your ideas with the clouds & difference clouds, and the color range. Ok ok so your whole tutorial helped =D

Name:	Detail.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	651.6 KB 
ID:	1604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lower Res.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	1605  
    Last edited by Yandor; 11-17-2007 at 02:49 AM.

So I decided to just map the colors for each section, while I started planning out climates, What do you think of the colors? and its not an elevation map, its a map with a height on it but splashed with colors for different areas

I don't know if I like the snow/ice caps but I was just thinking of doing that ice blue color as a tundra/glacial ice thing

Edited: I sat there stareing at my map with the colors just sitting there, it just didn't seem right but I changed it and I think I like this one a lot more

Name:	Colorexample.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	782.6 KB 
ID:	1610  
    Last edited by Yandor; 11-17-2007 at 04:59 PM.

I don't know, Hieght maps crossed with simple collors for terrain type gives some bizare terrain features, like swampy mountains.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

hahah I know, don't worry about that I was just showing the colors on the terrain it self so people can see what it actually looks like, I kind of like it but I was just curious on what others thought, I'm planning on flatting a lot of areas and making plains and actual geological correct features like the swamp/mangroove or lagoons for that matter.

Yandor: I'm a little confused as to what sort of advice you're asking. Can you clarify it a tad? Did you just want a general impression, or some other specific response?

Thanks
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

eh good point to be honest I'm not to sure what I was asking for, I guess it was more on impression, like are the color choices good or bad, also with the other map that I popped up there the full map and the high res pic of Cairan I was just wondering if it was a good representation of an elevation map, do the continents look good, maybe more islands anything really, just an over all impression and maybe some flaws. You guys have been making maps for awhile and have seen all sorts of styles and just wondering if you see anything that would of passed over a novice like me and you guys had caught.

Default Shoreline blue too saturated

Your shallow water blue is "glaring" at me, you need to soften it, lighter blue I think - too much attention is drawn to the coastline with your color choice. Other than that, it seems to be working...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I haven't done much for this map in awhile, but I've finally put in some rivers, so I decided I'd post that and an overview of the entire world, I changed a ton of it, I tried to base it off real proportions based on our on earth. Most of that stuff is hidden for future use but yeah thats where I'm at, any comments are welcome

Name:	Detail2.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	592.8 KB 
ID:	1721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lower Res2.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	516.8 KB 
ID:	1722  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast