Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: My Map and need advice

I prefer the non-indented small rivers combined with the indented larger rivers. But they do call alot of attention to themselves. Can you make them even thinner? (1/2 px would make them softer, as well) Or reduce the opacity slightly so that they aren't so intense....

-Rob A>

I Do have to say thanks for all your help on all the previous stuff on this map, I've finished up the "elevation" part of it, which I was asking for opinions about and what not, but now on to stage two.

This is where I change the map over to a more artistic look, and I was wondering what you guys actually thought of the iconic features, the rivers, mountains, trees, and most of all the City Icon, and what type of grass too. I got the grass idea/brush from aeronox here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1278

So thank you, but whatcha guys think? Oh and don't mind the mountains on top(the non colored ones) just me to lazy to color them all in.

P.S. This is just a sample piece! the coast line isn't how I like it yet, so you know =D
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Yandor; 12-20-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Yandor - My personal thought is that the icons, while really cool, don't indicate towns or cities. To me, they indicate various sizes (or strengths?) of strongholds. It think towns and cities would be flatter, maybe a slight bit wider.

Guild Journeyer

Personally, I like the icons you created. They have enough variation to be distinct and yet are still similar enough to be obviously settlements and strongholds.

I don't think the shape needs to represent the entire city/town/village as much as emulate the dominant feature of the skyline. After all if a map of the US was done similarly with New York demonstrated with the Statue of Liberty and St. Louis with it's iconic Gateway Arch, it'd make sense and get the idea across without risking cluttering up the map.

In the end this is the "artistic" style map, so it all comes down to preference between iconic representation and realistic demonstration.

well I continued on, its easy to fix everything, just what do you guys think? I'm not to sure about the forests, or the grass, something just seems to not really fit, maybe all the elements are not similar enough but anyways heres a mainly completed island
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think that the forests and grass look really good except for one minor issue:

The base of the tree trunks is darker than everything else on the forest. I would do something (don't ask me what) to minimize the appearance of the tree trunks. Other than that, I really like the look of it.

Guild Journeyer

You have a great separation between all the elements except for the forests. The mountains are all clearly separate and while they are similar it's clear they are individual objects. The trees of the forests lack this differentiation.

Maybe a slight color change at the edge of the tree's canopy to show where that tree ends and the next begins.

At first glance the forests look a bit like a continuous hedge with little feet sticking out.

I agree with Glenn: put in a different way, the mountains stand out as individual items, clearly outlined and defined, while the rest of the map (aside from the icons) is painterly and combined. This could work to add interest, though, if they do not clash--and they don't. So I say keep the mountaisn that way, BUT the trees having nicely, evenly separated trunks does not work for me.

I'd say vary them and scruntch them in somewhat to see how that looks. The trees in the earlier 3 you posted do not work for me at all because they look like fuzz stuck on sticks; I'd say blotch them up a bit. I think you may wish to emulate/adapt Jared's maps' tree styles, for they are similar to your maps'; check out this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1170

I also do not like in that last island you posted that the mountains appear to sit on top of the trees. This may be fixed, though, when you fix your tree style.

The color scheme you have really appeals to me. Well done! In general, I like your style and what you are building. Very impressive!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456