Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Regional Map in Various Styles...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh, cool - ancient artefects. Waldronate may have some answers for the black squares.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The black squares are due to a bug in FT that will cause certain operations to result in an infinity or not-a-number in an editing cell. ProFantasy's tech support has access to a version that will correct that problem.

Incise Flow finds where a fluid would flow across the surface and removes more surface where the flow is higher. It computes the flow by dropping a little blob on each point on the map and letting the blob move downhill as far it will go. At each point on the surface that it visits, it increases a counter for each cell. The counter results for all of the little blobs on the surface are the amount of flow on the surface. After the flow is computed, a modified version of the flow for each point gets subtracted from each editing point, incising the flow into the surface.

The idea of using multiple incise operations at each level is to get varying widths along the path of a river with the general idea that rivers closer to the ocean will have wider valleys than those higher up. Wilbur's Variable blur feature tried to implement this idea directly by using the flow amount as the width of the blur, but it didn't quite work out the way that I'd hoped.

Thanks for the response waldronate! Your response made it sound like I'll have to go to tech support to get a new version of the software to correct it. I'll look into doing that, or it may just be faster for me to start over.

I still feel a little lost on using that function, and what the difference is between using it in fractal terrain and wilbur. I'll look around for some tutorials and see what I can make of it.

In Wilbur the editing resolution is all you'll ever get; in FT the editing resolution is typically much lower than the maximum possible zoom level. FT also does an automatic basin fill before the incise flow operation that Wilbur doesn't do, while Wilbur has a couple of extra blur options and a preview on its incise operation. FT and WIlbur share many parts in common, but FT is aimed at world making and export to CC2, while Wilbur is aimed at general height field editing.

Still playing with Wilbur. It seems to take a -very- long time to bring up the incise flow dialog. Is this something I'm doing wrong? The dialog seems to take 5 min or more to come up, then the actual incise takes a few seconds.
    Last edited by JackOfHearts; 04-24-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks for posting the tutorial ^^ I find fractal terrain really difficult to use for a beginner, but you explained it so good that I wanna give it a try ^^

OMG.. those black squares are from HELL (fumes, smoke comes out of ears)!!! They put a huge irreparable hole in my current geofiction planet.. i had to fudge that area but oh well.. I try not to think about it, haha. It has something to do with infinity as a reading i think and it seems to happen along the main meridian of the map. Good to know they have another version.. i couldnt get any answers about it when it happened to me but that was right when the new version was out.

@JackOfHearts Yes.. the process can be tedious.. not sure but it seems like wilbur does all the calculations while bringing up the box.. its not fast if you're working on a big map. 5 minutes is not unusual but you might want to do the map in quarters or something.

@Waldonrate Thanks for replying to them.. i havent been watching this thread.. Still wishing for a spherical based wilbur.. i think i can probably keep on wishing though huh? haha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123