Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need someone to do boating charts.

Default Need someone to do boating charts.

I am in need of someone to produce boating charts that include islands, coastlines, etc. with navigational courses and waypoints in chartlet form for a well known print boating guide. Anyone out there experienced and interested. Chuck

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Please review the sticky at the top of the request forum and provide as much of the information as you can - much more likely to get a response.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the heads up. These will be nautical chartlets. This is for a publisher of printed boating guides published annually so naturally the publisher will retain the copyrights for the maps for current and future publications. Since I have no idea as to what might be a fair price, negotiation that will be satisfactory for both will decide. These are annual publications with the most recent just going to the printer, so there will be approximately 9 more months until these will be needed. This will be a one time commission unless additional charts are needed or changes or corrections will need to be done. They will need to be multicolored and not line drawings. Sorry but I don't have an example or link I can include at this time. I will be happy to provide my email address to anyone interested if you contact my by PM. I hope this helps fill in the gaps and sorry about that, this being my first time here. If there are any other questions I will be happy to answer them either here or through a PM. Chuck

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Chuck, good luck with the commision, please note though - that the artist typically retains copyright on the work but licenses (and that can be exclusively) it out to others. The price will normally be determined by how the artwork will be used. So if its for a single chart the price is low, if its for continual use, and perhaps in different charts, maps, books etc - the price will be higher, and if the map may not be used by any others the price raises again. However the artist will always retain the right to use the work as a part of his/her own portfolio ... hope that helped a little
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the clarification tilt. We deal with photographs a lot but this is new territory with the chartlets. These will be essentially sketch charts that will be reproduced each year with the current years boating guide. I wish I had an example to post. There will be several, quite a few in fact, small chartlets that will range in size from a quarter page to an eighth page and will be scattered throughout the book. These will cover the Bahamas chain and will be full color. We would of course want an exclusive and I would expect that anyone would continue to use them in their portfolio. See, I am learning already. Chuck

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know if its the same look all over the world - but here - just as a curiousity - a company has made napkins with sea-charts on them, and sell those to restaurants near the respective seas ... and doing fine also I believe, I've seen them several places in my countries (Denmark and Sweden) - perhaps that was a good little side-business. Or perhaps you could sell the idea of doing that to the artist, so he might earn some cash there too, and lower your price
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi chuck, could you post an example of a chartlet so that people can see the style and detail that you're shooting for?

Presumably you'll be providing the data on which the map will be based?

I need to stress here that the majority of us do not do 'real world navigational mapping' which requires absolute accuracy of data (particularly if mariners are using the maps to get from A to B).

I'd suggest that you should also check out cartotalk which is a forum where people who make maps based on real world data hang out. If lives might depend on the accuracy of the maps, I'd hesitate to offer my services on this one.

cheers

Ravs

ravells, we as with all boating publications warn that the chartlets are not to be used for navigation and most boaters understand that. We have been publishing our guides for over 60 years so we have a pretty good handle on how these need to be presented. I am really trying to find an example of the type of thing we are looking for and will post something as soon as I can. These will not be something that will put lives at risk. Thanks for the heads up on the other site. Chuck

Blog Entries

Yeah I am sure that as soon as you can get something as a sample then it will be easier to figure out how easy or difficult it will be to do them. You can post several images which display a bit of each of the things you might want - but at mo I have no real idea what your looking for, or rather I can think of half a dozen styles that it might be. It sounds like an interesting little project. If its very arty then id probably not be the best choice but if more technical / informational then I might have a punt as I think it sounds like you need a lot of them in a uniform style across all the maps which lends itself to a script driven solution which is more my kind of thing and means you can change some part of the style of all the maps in one go.

I was actually able to find some examples today. I will attempt to attach the file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KMBT_C20020100608081805.pdf  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast