Thread: Newbie Mapmaker

Post Newbie Mapmaker

Hi all! I'm interested in making some detailed maps for a fantasy novel/series I'm writing. I need the maps to help me write the books because I need see things to be able to describe them. I've thought for a long time that the only way I'd be able to make maps is to shell out money for Campaign Cartographer, but coming here has helped me figure out that I do not necessarily need to do that which is great because with 7 kids, I have no budget! LOL

So I'm here to learn how to make maps of planets, continents, countries, cities, and even buildings with GIMP. I am still feeling lost. I was hoping to find a good random generator to get me started, but all the ones I've seen just confuse me more.

Well, thanks for having this forum and I hope that someday I can contribute.

Dawn

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Impressed that you have time for mapping and writing with 7 kids ... and welcome to the guild - start by going to the tutorial section and find something you like - then post it in the WIP section for critique and help
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Hi Mom !!!

I write a continental autogenerator for windows which is dead easy to use as all you have to do is page to next and next again until you like one then hit the save button. If you want it higher res then go to the previous one, up the Map Size box and go next again. Its not very sophisticated tho so don't expect great geography.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...nstant_islands

There's some planetary generators as well but cities are not so easy to autogenerate and are still the hardest of the set to produce. The tutorials will help greatly in all types of map tho.

Good luck - perseverance is what you in most need of tho

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome! There are quite a few of us mapping for our novels; try some of the tutorials, you'll find yourself making great maps (and being inspired by them) in no time!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave