Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)

You'll probably see the reason for the multiply blend mode if you go into your layer stack and change one or two of them back to normal.

Typically, multiply is used to turn white areas of a layer transparent, so the background texture will show through. It's pretty common with a stamp-based isometric workflow because if you're just using brushes, then all the white areas of the brush will be transparent. When you layer them on top of each other, you'll still see the lines from brushes at the back showing through. If you instead use a stamp where the background is actually white, though, you can layer things so that they occlude one another naturally. Then you set the layer to multiply so that the white vanishes, leaving only the lines you want to see.

I haven't read this tutorial, so I don't know if that's the case here, but it's the style of map where that approach usually works well.

It's also useful if you've got an element that you drew on paper and scanned. Just put it over your image and set to multiply, and you'll have wonderfully blended lines. When I made my first map, I tried to delete all of the white areas, and it did not work out so well. Plus it took a really long time. If only I'd known I could get the same result with a single switch!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

This is an awesome tutorial and I am starting on crafting a new world using it. Thanks for puttiing it together as well as the brush set.

Banned User

In looking through this thread, I discovered that Gidde posted some very nice brushes along with the tutorial. Unfortunately (for me as a Photoshop user), those brushes are for GIMP and cannot be used directly in Photoshop. So I took it upon myself to convert them to Photoshop .abr brushes for Photoshop users. They were created and posted by Gidde, I merely converted them to .abr so make sure all credit goes to Gidde.

Brushes by Gidde converted to Photoshop.zip

Can anyone help me figure out what the heck "Fuzzy Brush 19" is?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by akaddk View Post
    Can anyone help me figure out what the heck "Fuzzy Brush 19" is?
    I would expect it's a round brush of size 19 with hardness set to 0% (fuzzy).

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I would expect it's a round brush of size 19 with hardness set to 0% (fuzzy).
    Maybe it's just the wording that is confusing me:

Grab the paintbrush tool ( ) and change to the fuzzy circle 19 brush, and then scale it all the way up to 10 so we have a nice, big round brush.
    It sounds like it's referencing a particular brush rather than settings on a brush.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by akaddk View Post
    Maybe it's just the wording that is confusing me:

It sounds like it's referencing a particular brush rather than settings on a brush.
    I don't use GIMP, but Photoshop has some preset brush settings, including sizes like that, both hard and fuzzy. I would presume that GIMP has a preset fuzzy circle brush of size 19 that the author wants you to change the size to 10. That would be a very normal thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I don't use GIMP, but Photoshop has some preset brush settings, including sizes like that, both hard and fuzzy. I would presume that GIMP has a preset fuzzy circle brush of size 19 that the author wants you to change the size to 10. That would be a very normal thing to do.
    That's what I thought but I can't find any brush called that. There are three fuzzy brushes with hardness of 25, 50 & 75. All are 51x51 and a default size of 20. I'm guessing that the tutorial isn't up to date and something has changed or I'm just stupid.

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out. I must've somehow inadvertently deleted the default brushes without realising it. I go a default set of brushes and refreshed and now it's there. So yes, it was just me being stupid.
    Last edited by akaddk; 04-14-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Banned User

It doesn't matter anyway, just take any round brush, make it hardness 0 and size 10.

Thanks that was wonderful.

-Raz0rBlade

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast