Thread: How could I convert this image into a Gimp map

Default How could I convert this image into a Gimp map

I am sure that would have to do some tracing and go from there but is this even possible?

I am just trying to pick a map that I could jump start for a Las Vegas area map without attempting to start from scratch.

I am a newbie at GIMP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vegas area 1 hex = 5 miles.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	124877  

I am no expert with GIMP, but that is my primary program for doing anything/everything mapping related. However, I don't feel I can address your question at all, mainly because I need to know more. In particular, the following questions are really important for you to know the answers to before starting:

- What do you want out of the map? A proper reference guide, an artsy rendering of the area, a road map, a geographical map, etc.?
    - Exactly what geographical features do you want on the map?
    - Exactly what non-geographical features do you want? (roads, towns, etc.)
    - What general style are you aiming for? (survey map, fantasy-style map, old western looking map, etc.).

If you can give a little more of an idea of what you are aiming for, I or someone else could definitely give you some thoughts!

My (ongoing) Novel set in Arabia in Antiquity

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

Blog Entries

Note that Google maps has copyright notices down in the corner for a reason. There is some grey area due to copyright (supposedly) not applying to simple facts, and where things are is a matter of fact rather than expression, but copying existing maps without license is a bad idea. Map companies often include minor intentional errors for instance to make it subject to copyright. Also everything about the map that IS expression rather than just facts is subject to copyright. Also there may be 'database rights' which is an ability to restrict particular collections of facts in a similar manner to copyright which may be a problem.

In short, although I'm not a lawyer and can't say for sure that copying over Google Maps is going to get you in trouble, there's a good chance it's a bad idea and it might be a better to use some other source like Natural Earth, OpenStreetMap, or USGS.

Also this sub-forum is for providing worked out tutorials. Asking questions belongs in How Do I ???
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 09-25-2020 at 10:29 PM.