Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first map... (yet to be named)

Guild Novice

Wip My first map... (yet to be named)

I'm new to cartography, new to photoshop, new to DMing, and new to DnD. I've got a lot to learn, but I am enjoying it quite a bit. This is my first map done in an effort to start a story for a campaign. I followed Ascension's atlas style tutorial, and after a few false starts, I am finally getting to a point where I think it's looking acceptable. Feedback and critiques will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNK WIP1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	340.9 KB 
ID:	25520  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome! I think you'll have fun with all of your new hobbies, they enrich each other beautifully Good work with Ascension's tut there, looks great for a first map. The only suggestion I'd offer is to tone down your text a little. It's a bit overpowering as is.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Sure looks a heck of a lot better than my first try with that tut! I like the landmass layout; looks kind of like a broken hand.

The only things that jump out at me as 'off' are, like Gidde mentioned, the overwhelming-ness of the text, and the continental shelf - in places in looks like it's reversed, as if the landmass is at the bottom of the ocean, and the shelf is actually a cliff instead leading down to the land.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thats a good start, and yep - the lettering is a bit overpovering so lighten them up a bit ... and look forward to many good years with D&D, I've been playing 30 years myself
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback!

As for the text, I'll tone it down. It's mostly just a place holder now until I figure out what the lands are called. Although, i may scrap the idea of having divided territories. still debating about that.

The shelf looked off for me as well, but I wasn't sure what I had done wrong. I tried altering it and I suppose I'll get around to trying to fix it again.

Thanks!

Guild Novice

Wip

I decided to try out the tutorial a few more times to see what things do when I change them instead of following the tut to a T. I updated this first map as well.

Changes:
    Took off labels.
    Removed territory boundaries.
    Accented the rivers.
    Removed some mountains and hills from the southern dry-lands.
    Smoothed out the desert that's in between the two central mountain chains.
    Added an oasis. (really curious what people think of this and what I should do to improve it).

Things to ponder:
    While unintentional, I see a dog (or deer) and a rabbit in this map...

Thanks for looking and all the feedback!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNK-1-WIPA.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	25597  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice doggie.. sit! *lol* ... well, that sometimes happen - but now you'll have to make a quick decision if you should change your landmasses - cause you will always see it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yeah, I've thought of it as the Dog Continent since you first showed it, but as long as you don't put in a big lake or volcano to serve as an "eye", I think it'll be okay. Our brains just like to make pictures out of splotches.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

As far as the oasis goes, I think it depends on what scale the overall map is at. If this is a continent, the scale's much bigger, making that oasis look like a huge fertile valley instead. Also, it seems a little too artificially round. But then, I know jack about oases, so that may be perfectly normal.

Guild Novice

Hmm, I haven't even thought of scale. Is there a tutorial for that as well I could learn from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast