Thread: World of Makinth

Wip World of Makinth

Here is a link to my first digital map. It is still in progress, as I need to add swamps, forests, etc. as well as create a political map. Two cities have been named and placed, as the campaign has already started and I needed some sort of visual reference to work with. Tell me what you think... oh yes, the background continent color is already set to be changed. That was not quite so hideous looking a green on the original computer!!!!

http://realmsofgaming.com/turinth/ma...th-New-Map.gif

Hi Fubar! Welcome to the guild. It's a good start - try having a look at the online colour scheme generators in the reference section if you want some ideas on good colour matches. Looking forward to seeing more!

yeah, I need to study the colors a little closer. When I picked that background,t he primary thing I was worried about was printing (which is why the image is set for 8 x 10 printing) so I was checking the Gamut warning primarily. But that should be an easy fix compared to some of the other problems I have had with it... heh.

Hi, Fubar. Welcome! That map is very interesting; realistic in the apparent randomness of the coasts & other elements. As you've already said, the colors need lots of work as they are very garish, but that's no more than a few minutes' work. I look forward to seeing your progress!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome DMFubar! A couple quick notes. Can you tell us what software you are using to create the map and also, when you save the pic can you use jpeg or png instead of gif, preferably png? That will allow for more colors and a better image for us to view.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Pyrandon - The only colors I am happy with are the mountains, I ran several filters to create a rough effect rather than trying to draw out a number of actual mountains. I may change the effect later in the process... gotta love layers!

RPMiller - this map was created 100% in Photoshop CS2. I used the techniques found on Zombie Nirvana's site to create the continents/islands (clouds and threshold effect) and then repeated the process for the mountains (first masking the continent then running a mask, pulling the threshold low enough that it only covers a portion of the continent), and hills. The rivers were created in a similar manner though in their case I used a difference cloud multiple times after the initial cloud filter. After using the threshold tool again, I would move the dark rivers around the continents and then fill them with the proper colors. Most of the rivers/seas also use a dark/light blue cloud filter to create variation.

As for png, not a problem, I can do so this evening when I get to the home system.

Welcome!

First, I like the map, but the colors...the leave me with questions such as: What is Mountains as opposed to hills. Forest? Swamp? Plains?

Other than that, good work.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave