Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A dilemma

I think it was by-nc-nd, i chose my creative commons to make sure people don't use my maps.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I think it was by-nc-nd, i chose my creative commons to make sure people don't use my maps.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

Well if SA then he is if ND then he isn't. I went on the Deviant page but I could not see the license. In the absence of one he would not be able to use a clone of your map. In this case or the ND case it comes down to how close the maps are. I would advise tho if going for a CC license then putting the CC logo and SA/ND tags actually on the map so that you have some proof of how it was licensed at the time it was uploaded. He would then have less grounds to complain if confronted.

You might try to do a google similar images on both yours and his map image and see if it crops up on other forums and places just to get some idea of the guy your opposing. He might be very reasonable about it.

Thats about as much advice as I can give - you need a lawyer for taking it any further.

He has it on his own website, thats what really annoys me about it. Like I said before I dropped him a subtle hint, lets see if he gets it.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Got a response from the artist and he does acknowledge that my map was an "inspiration", I'm willing to let it go but I did ask that I get some acknowledgment when he posts it around, whether he does that is yet to be seen.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good - at least you've got communications going
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hmm. I remember your original map from months back, LWD, and I liked it. I also liked this new one, and honestly didn't even think of yours when I first saw this one. Looking at them side by side, there's some similarity, but not to the extent where I'd think "Hey, he ripped off LWD!" ...But since the guy has acknowledged that that's pretty much what he's done, well...

Kind of makes me sad that I commented on it at his DA site.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

he probably didn't even think of it - just used the form to build his own, he made a nice map too... And we see so many maps, its difficult to remember the shapes - its only all the hours on your own maps that makes you remember them *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

I would say that your map is not the only one he drew inspiration from. He has used both Ilshakefest (S adjusted) and Dali fonts the same as I used on Vaniya, along with blocks of text over the sea commenting on things. There is a vague similarity also with the mountains, hills, trees and location markers. His legend is very similar to the one I included in mine. I would say with absolute conviction he has been influenced by Vaniya as well as your Everlandias map. Does it bother me? Not in the slightest. Imitation is, as they say, the sincerest form of flattery.
    Although I can see that the landmass bears a resemblance to your map, LonewandererD, it is by no means a straight copy and as has already been pointed out, artists draw inspiration from others all the time and I personally feel that he has done enough obvious work to not be accused of outright theft. Still, I guess a mention of your map being inspiration would be fitting.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I agree, he had some skill and I would have been flattered to have inspired someone, I too am guilty of being "inspired" but I'm always careful to cite my inspirtations. Just a little acknowledgement is all I wanted, just a few words. That said it is pretty much sorted now.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast