Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A dilemma

I would just repeat Ramah on this. 'Frankensteining' comes in many shapes and forms and if it is sufficiently distant to make a new work, then, it's a new work. None of us make anything absolutely new or original. Yeah, the landmass shape looks similar, but apart from that the style is quite differerent. If it were me, I'd just let it ride and be flattered.

but your is much better. so I wouldn't worry too much, I'm pretty sure he'll be sure to update the maps and give credit...
    most people aren't assholes when it comes to art and such

Actually, now that I've had to time to reflect on it I've come to realise that I may have overreacted. I'm proud of my work and while I am protective of it if someone is inspired by it I should be prouder. I apologise to the artist and hope no one harbours any ill towards him or me about this needless incident.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

cool... and good form ... and we all care about our works, and therefor understand your dilemma - just good you've come to a "karmalishious" decision
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I woulda been ****ed, too. That top continent looks so damn close and the lower one is so reminiscent. But it'll serve as a lesson to us all to start putting that lil logo thing on our maps for copyright.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Glad this seems to have worked out. This is why I always try to use my own stuff. I'm totally concerned that I will forget to attribute someone and they will call me on it. Not that I am super prolific right now but I hope to someday be able to pound out a lot more maps and stuff. I worry about brushes I have added to Gimp and stuff like that. I would just feel terrible to have a finished work and be all happy about it only to have someone come along and say, "Hey, that's my bushes you have there. How come you didn't give me any credit?"

As far as the CC logo I would like to see an example of this on a map so I can figure out what I need to do for myself. I'm still pretty new to the whole copyright stuff.

Finally, LonewandererD, I think you reacted as a typical person would. It took a little while for the sting to wear off and put it in perspective but you seem to have found your peace with it at this point. At least the guy sounds like he wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. Hopefully he will add a comment on it and make everyone feel good about it. If not, it is still pretty cool that someone fell in love with your art enough to emulate it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I would say they are similar but disimilar. I have seen tons of maps that come through here that bear a lot of resemblance to my old Campaign World. So much of a resemblance that they seem almost 'copied' but I know they are not. Some shapes just seem very similar.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123