Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noble manor 1st floor

If you need some other types of rooms to fill out the spaces your countess might have a couple of libraries (a public one and a... er... less public one?) - does she have a secretary or henchman?. Also on the utility side of things you can always add a scullery/laundry.
    Good work though! I applaud anyone who remembers the finer things in life - like decent toilets! I'd agree with tilt about some partioning around that ground floor crapper in the kitchen area...
    Last edited by Crayons; 07-28-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Guild Novice

Thanks for the ideas for new rooms, the henchman has already her personal room and if I understand well, the scullery is just below the kitchen.
    I am not sure to understand last sentance, do you mean to put some "dirt" in the kitchen floor, if it's that I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. ^^

I must tell that, it ends a lot much better that what I thought myself capable of (with the help you all gave me too). :-)

Ah OK. I get the laundry now! I thought it might be storage. I think both this room and the kitchen need a cooking/heating apparatus? I'm not sure of your "technology base" though.
    The last comment was about the toilet (I think it is) just below the scullery/laundry. It looks like it has one "sit on" toilet (aka "Crapper" named after Thomas Crapper - wrongly (?) attributed with the invention of the "water closet"). I digress. The toilet seems to be in the same room as what look like wall urinals and "normal" society rules of propriety in such matters would call for a partition wall around the sit-down toilet for privacy. The Romans on the other hand wouldn't bother so rules differ between cultures.
    Speaking of floors. In real world mansions there is a marked difference in quality between servants areas and the "posh bit". Historically there is a green baize door between such areas (to deaden sound) and beyond the green door cheaper materials are used. Your kitchen seems to have "parquet" flooring which would be too opulent for such normally. Also impractical. I would suggest stone flags or tiles in appropriate areas and cheap plank floors with cheap rugs for other areas. These variations of floor type indicate the utility and quality of the room and also serve to break up the map textures more. As for dirt, well, yes, but cleanliness and the lack of is likely to get servants sacked, so I wouldn't expect to see much dirt in a well run household...
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

Guild Novice

Ok ! I get it ! For M. Crapper I didn't know him and never heard of him but hey, do you know Monsieur Poubelle ? ;-) I'm french and lack much vocabulary. So ! For the toilets, I put a wall around the sit-down toilet but it's not clearly visible without zooming, maybe I'll change this. For the floors I tried to do that for the uppest level wich is mostly for the servants but I didn't know that in the same floor quality could be so differant. I'll look at it.

Oh, and now that you mention it, I did forget to put something to cook in the kitchen.

Thanks a lot for all those explanations. :-)

Now you point it out, I can see the partition now, sorry.Yes, it probably could be a bit clearer.
    Poubelle? I remember the "word" from my French lessons but I just looked it up and up popped Eugene! Well well well !
    As for your English vocabulary, it's very good. For assistance, may I just say that for "uppest" I'd normally use the word "top". You also questioned the use of "attic" or "loft" - both of which I would use interchangeably in such an example although I think there is a technical difference depending on whether the area is coverted into rooms or not.
    --

My Finished Stuff

Guild Novice

Thanks for those explanations, I try to use my english often to keep my level. For the toilets I'll make the partition bigger, and I'll fill the empty room in the loft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12