Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noble manor 1st floor

Guild Novice

Wip Noble manor 1st floor

Hi,

Posting my first WIP here, and my first attempt at mapping an interior I would be very glad if some of you could tell me if something's going wrong. I'm only using the base tools and textures from Gimp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manoir_wip.png 
Views:	304 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	25543

Also I don't really know how to put furnitures like chairs and beds without having to draw them (my drawing skills are veeeeryyyyy low ) so I'm guessing leaving this empty but it would really look better with them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good start Galaad, now, I don't know how to do this in GIMP, but I would suggest working a little with the textures, the tiles and wooded floor are very dominating colorwise and should perhaps be dampend a little. Concerning furniture and other fittings, look in the mapping element or on the web, you'll probably be able to find some with transparent backgrounds so they can be placed in your house
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

For furnishings of all types, check the Dundjinni user forums - there are other sites as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You may want to try running a mosaic filter on the parquet (Filters -> Distort -> Mosaic); measure your pattern squares and use that (minus your depth) as the size, square as the shape, and turn neatness all the way up; it'd break the edges a bit and vary the colors, as well as doing a little of the dampening tilt mentioned.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the tips, the tiles and parquet do look a little better with a little less luminosity(?) and I'm trying the mosaic filter. I'll look for the furniture when I have a little more time.

Tomorrow I'll change the language of Gimp to have the same terms than in all the site and tutorials ; it'll be easier to work then. ^^

Thanks again. I'll post my advancement when there IS an advancement.

Guild Novice

Wip

Hi everybody, as the 1st and 2nd floors are near finishing I post them with the uppest one (the attic ? loft ? I am not sure, the one with the servants's rooms and most of the storage).

The 1st floor

Name:	manoir_0_wip.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	25906
    The 2nd one

Name:	manoir_1_wip.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	25905
    And the uppest (as it's directly under the roof the light is dim)

Name:	manoir_2_wip.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	754.8 KB 
ID:	25904

Just for those who don't know the Fading Suns universe, it's a medieval/futurist one, so the mix of the furnitures is normal.

It's taking me a lot of time doing this but I am quite pleased with the overall result.

Feel free to comment !

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good idea with the blurring effect to show elements from other floors. The toilet on the bottom floor seems a little odd, it looks like you have urinals and a toilet in the same open room, I would guess you'd want stalls. And urinals would normally only be in bars and such not in private homes. (or maybe I'm missing what things are).
    I'd throw in a direct door to the office on the middle floor so you don't have to cross through another room to get to it. And the rooms up there with the couches and such looks made for entertaining visitors -which would mean that you should have a second entry to the bathroom/toilet - so you don't have to enter the bedroom to get there. Good job
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

Thanks ! And thanks again ! I'll think about what you said, The owner of the house IS odd so I suspect the house to be a little odd too but I'll make sure it's at least liveable and with a logic.
    edit: and I'll explain a little tomorrow too. ;-)

I'd also recommend sinks in the bathrooms.

Guild Novice

Hi ! I just found enough time to finish this so I'm posting the result here and if tomorrow I am still happy with it I'll post it in the finished maps forum.
    For the sinks I had a little trouble to find some.

edit : Ok, I retried to upload it and it worked.

Name:	manoir_0.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	27568
    The ground floor is mainly for parties with the big center room, little lounges, the kitchen, guardroom and toilets with urinals for the servants and drunken guests.

Name:	manoir_1.png 
Views:	363 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	27529
    At the first floor there are the appartments of the ruler, made so that nobody can traverse them unseen ; the balcony above the ballroom and guests rooms.

Name:	manoir_2.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	27528
    The last floor, just under the roofs, is mainly for the servants and storage ; but at the upper left there is the room where the comtess keep things that must not be seen and the "table" where her surgeon work on her cybernetics.

I would not be surprised if there are some thing badly done or a little weird but please tell me. I'm open to questions and suggestions and can provide the .xcf files.
    Last edited by Galaad; 07-29-2010 at 05:06 AM. Reason: adding ground floor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast