Thread: In Need of a map for my Novel

Guild Applicant

Help In Need of a map for my Novel

Well Ladies & Gentleman, my name is Christopher Demand. I am an active duty infantry Marine stationed in Quantico, VA, USA. I'm not a cartographer. I have however spent three years creating a fantasy world in which I plan on using as a setting for a string of books that I will start writting in three months. I am here to hear from the best cartographers in the world wide web and network to have one or a few of you draw some maps for my world as i feel that it will aid me in my writting and I would like to have them published as well.

All black and white. I would like it to look like this map in sketch only. I would like to add some texture to the coast lines and a few other minor changes. http://valarguild.org/arathorn/lotr/.../me-map-bw.pdf

If you are also an artist as well that would be a plus as you could illustrate for me as well?

Well i look forward to hearing from someone. Thank you all for your time and providing a much needed and under appreciated skill.

Time Constraints
    •The time constraint on this would be that the world map be done appx. 90days after commision or first payment
    •[I am looking for a map in the following style - http://valarguild.org/arathorn/lotr/.../me-map-bw.pdf.]
    •[I am looking to add a bit more detail to the coastline to paint a more realistic feel
    •[This will be a world map of three continents on an earthsized planet]
    •If the work is good and we mesh well with are thought process then i would also hire you for multiple other maps for cities and the individual continents.

Quality & Size
    •[Professional]
    •[Required for print]
    •[Raster / Vector not sure just yet]

Copyright
    •I will have copyright of the map
    •I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

My project email is Aceldama@live.com
    Last edited by Aceldama; 05-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I see you found the right forum here - didn't know that in my earlier post *lol* ... I'm sure you'll find some good cartographers to help you in no time ... if you link to some map styles you like it might be easier for the users to see if they can do the style. Is it for instance a tolkien type map? A good place to go is "Finished maps" and look there - pick out some maps and tell us
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi Aceldama, I've amended the title of your thread to more accurately reflect what it is you actually want. Good luck on your quest and please read the sticky at the top of this thread and edit your post so that you don't get deluged with the usual questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi Aceldama, I've amended the title of your thread to more accurately reflect what it is you actually want. Good luck on your quest and please read the sticky at the top of this thread and edit your post so that you don't get deluged with the usual questions.
    To simplify, the link is here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Please-read-me.

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

Is the amount of detail you envision on your map similar to the Middle Earth map you link to (besides the coastlines), i mean the number of named places and features?

Do you have some kind of sketch or description or basic idea of what these 3 continents are supposed to look like, what rivers, cities, and kingdoms exist, etc. or are you asking for a blank slate?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh, and by the way - just so you know - its is common for the artist to retain copyright where as the "customer" gets "right-to-use" (not sure what its called in english). But of course possible to write in a contract that you get "exclusive use" of the artwork, to make sure it isn't used anywhere else. Normally you will also have to check with the artist if you want to use the artwork for another project than the one it was commisioned for so he/she can make sure that it isn't used for anything they wouldn't sanction. (like hate pages or who knows what).

Best of luck with your project
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

First and formost, thank you for your courage and service to our armed forces! It is always a pleasure to thank a soldier for their commitment to this wonderful country.

I would be honored to take part in your collaboration in maps and illustrated needs for your novel ambitions but would like to negotiate the budget and terms of your project should you like the quality I can offer. Please refer to my page http://lunchworks.deviantart.com and click the portfolio under the gallery. A couple maps are presented showing a "hand drawn" look and a "painted" one as well. If interested, e-mail me at lunchworks@yahoo.com.

Thank you again!
    Steven