Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dal Lands

Default The Dal Lands

I started with a city, then I did a state, now I'm doing the kingdom. I like slowing work up, its a nice change from starting big and trying to go down. As a break from the norm of my work I'm going for a more medieval hand drawn look as inspired by the maps of Gidde, Ramah and Bohunk, finally time to put those mountains brushes to good use. On that note I know Gidde wrote a tut on this subject but does anyone know of any other tuts on this type of mapping or any kind of advice, any would be appreciate as I have no real idea as how to do this.

Back at the ranch, he is the rough plan on the shape of the Dal Land landmasses, more planning and draft work to come soon.

NOTE: Do not zoom in on the map, it is very big and there wouldn't be anything worth seeing.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Dal Lands WIP.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	25561  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

huge project as usual - looking forward to seing it progress
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

If it's worth doing, its worth overdoing , Mythbusters FTW. I must be a masochist, all of my projects end up big and I end up beating my head on the table.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I call myself a masochist at least a hundred times per project. I guess (hope?) that means we're pushing our envelopes

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    NOTE: Do not zoom in on the map, it is very big and there wouldn't be anything worth seeing.
    I zoomed in! The green! ALL THE GREEN!!!!!

This is going to be insanely cool if you plan on using the same style as the Elders map. Looking forward to mappy goodness.

Disclaimer - LonewandererD does not take responsibility for loss of eyesight as a result of zooming in.

I'm actually trying something new than the Elder map style, hand drawn mountains and stuff. Mostly because it will be faster and easier to do and also because I want to experiment with something new, it will still be as green and, hopefully, as vibrant as my other maps.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Nice start but.... OH THE GREEEEEEN!!!!
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Why are people zooming in? Look not upon the green except from afar.

Anyway, a small update, I've roughed up the coastline and put down the plan for where I want the mountains to go, still very rough at this point, will start placing rivers and trying to get a parchment texture next, or should that wait until later?

-D-

Views:	87 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	25593  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

There was no zooming in... there was only opening it in a new window... and my eyes are still seeing everything in green tints..
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

A small update and my last planning.

The light tan represent hill lands and the river layout is still a bit rough.

-D-

Views:	113 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	25598  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast