Thread: Printing to an 8.5" x 11" in DD3

Guild Applicant

Question Printing to an 8.5" x 11" in DD3

Hey all,

I am a CC3/DD3 newbie user. I have gone through the tutorials that I have found on using the software and it has helped, however I am running into an issue. I have a map created that I want to use as a battle map for my next game. I created it as a 45' x 55' area, with each square being the standard 5' space. When I go to print the map, I can not for the life of me figure out how to print it out across multiple pages so that each square on the grid is exactly 1" in size (the standard for the map pieces). Can anyone help me out with this? I know that this map will span multiple pages and I am fine with connecting them together myself, I just need to get it printed out at the size where I can use my miniatures on it for battles.

Thanks!
    kenundrum

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is one of the few things I regularly use CC for (although keep in mind I'm using CC2 so the process may be a bit different). The key is to uncheck "fit to page" and to check "scale factor". Then you've got to do the math as to how many pages this will span, and enter the correct number of pages under the "Tiling:" section. Then it should print perfectly across pages for you.

Guild Applicant

Oh, so THAT is what the tiling thing is all about... you know that is the one thing that is NOT explained in the help file for printing, LOL! I will test this out and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll throw up more details. Thanks!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

If that doesn't work, I just found a program through another thread called PosteRazor that is free and will chop up your image file. Probably worth checking out

Super easy.

Under Print, the Third Box, SCALING needs to be set for SCALE FACTOR and for paper distance 1" = Drawing Distance 5' (assuming of course the standard 1 inch = 5 feet).

You would need to 'roughly' calculate your 11 x 17 paper size. Your 45 x 55 would be 45/5 x 55/5 or 9 x 10 or a single 11 x 17 sheet.

If you need more than that, or in your case an 8.5 x 11 sheet, I suggest printing with the TILING box of the PRINT window set for 1 vertical by 2 horizontal (for 11 x 17) with an approximate 2% overlap to making taping together easier.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 06-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Why don't you explain *why* you think its better than posterazor instead of spamming up this forum with old threads. What does this have that you need to spend $30 bucks on when you can do this for free.