Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would someone please make a better contour/atlassy version of my Rhothar world?

Help Would someone please make a better contour/atlassy version of my Rhothar world?

Ok, well, this thread either proves how lazy or unskilled I am. Both scenarios are probably correct.

Anyway, I'm currently writing a novel based on the world on this WIP. Now, I want to make a version of the map (atached to this post at bottom) that looks more atlas-like or perhaps simply has better (and more varied) contours. I've tried tutorials from this forum, but I keep hitting issues that no one can/will help me with... -.- SO, I've decided that getting someone to do it for me (gees that sounds so shallow for some reason).

What I'm looking for:

• A map improvement simmilar to Acention's atlas style or atleast something with better contours
    • Something alot more realistic than the origional conserning coastlines and mountain range-shapes
    • A scale-up would be okay, aslong as the continent/island shapes stay the same
    • I'd appreciate minor edits to any coatlines but for that of the three islands in the semi-center (the one of the sea in the center and the two smaller islands directly west of it)
    • You may add rivers and lakes (please?) based off the rough locations of mountains and valleys (check out the WIP to see which areas are savanna/jungle/etc.)
    • If you're going for a more satelite-ish look, then the contours really aren't neccicary. In this case, adding what you'd think the climate-zones would look like from space would be appreciated
    • The end-product should not have its poles skrewed when orbed, so you may want to check it in Google Sketchup or something simmilar before calling it finished.

I don't care about any copyright issues. I think common curtacy to not use the map for your own goals (unless to gain rep. or show off - that's completely fine) will be sufficient.

So, would someone please do this for me? I'll rep you up, even if I don't like the map! ^^
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e6xi7k.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	25571  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I could whip up a copy using my gimp version of Ascension's atlas tut, if you've got a pure black and white land-is-white, sea-is-black copy you can post or email. Does this go pole to pole?

Both a black-and-white shape-image and a black-on-white outline are attached to this post.

And if you meen the top edge of the map is the north pole and the bottom edge is the south pole, then yes. It does go pole to pole.

Thanks in advance! ^^

Name:	2q0svtj.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	25601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2dw9nac.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	25602  

Hi-

Not to intrude, but here is a version of Rhotherian's map with less pole pinching that might be handy:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	better_poles.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	25607

(And a comparison polar view of the original and this rework)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poles.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	25608

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You're not intruding, RobA, that will make a better map

Gonna take me a couple days, Rhotherian, since I just went back to work today after a two-week vacation and I'm dog tired, lol. But I'll have it up for ya.

@Rob: Thanks a bunch!! ^^ I'll modify the map accordingly.

@Gidde: That's perfectly fine, but, before you start, I'm gonna quickly fix up the poles. I'll hopefully have the new map posted by the end of the day.

Here it is. I also added attached a rough tectonic map (on the old map, sadly) to give you an idea of how many features were formed, what can and can't be changed and what certain featured would be (eg. the ridges in many of the seas are rifts).

Two notes:
    • The snaking ridge in the west of the bottom central ocean is an extinct rift.
    • Note the tiny round island just west of the southern-most paninsualla of the large, eastern continent. It doesn't appear on the black and white map, but it's very important to the story, so please include it. It's actually a huge spire-type-deal encircled by a really deep trench. The very top it the highest point on the planet and houses the [spoilers] and overlooks a large portion of the planet. There used to be five more, but they were all destroyed.

Name:	magbqd.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	25630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2yjqbtz.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	25631  

Oh, and before I forget, the light blue areas of sea are shallow see, not nessicarily continental shelves. They are around the majour continents, but not around the islands connecting the north and east continents or the east and south-east-central continents. The light blue blob in the south-center is a continental shelve - that of a sunken microcontinent.

The tectonics look a little odd. The swirly bits at the north pole are particularly troublesome to me.

Name:	b.gif 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	25773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.gif 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	25772  

Well, th northmost plate is rotating clockwise (hence the swirly arrows) and the southmost fault is a rift zone, hence all the arrows comming off it.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast